Jan 19, 2012, 9:53 AM EDT
After the Reds signed Ryan Madson last week, Francisco Cordero was forced to turn his attention to a free agent market without many obvious places to close ballgames. The Orioles were mentioned as a possibility on Monday, but it’s hard to see why adding a late-game reliever should be a priority for them, especially when they already have last offseason’s big mistake Kevin Gregg under contract $5.8 million in 2012.
While Angels general manager Jerry Dipoto has downplayed his interest in adding a reliever, passing over the opportunity to make a play for Madson, Jon Paul Morosi of FOXSports.com hears that they are indeed in the market for another late-game option and have shown interest in Cordero.
Cordero, who turns 37 in May, posted a 2.45 ERA and 37 saves over 68 relief appearances last season with the Reds. However, he also averaged just 5.4 K/9 and saw his fastball velocity dip to a career-low 93 mph.
Jordan Walden currently projects as the Angels’ closer this season after posting a 2.98 ERA, 32 saves and a 67/26 K/BB ratio over 60 1/3 innings during his rookie season. Of course, he also led the American League with 10 blown saves. While Cordero is obviously on the decline, he could present an alternative should Walden struggle during his sophomore campaign. And given how the market for Cordero has completely collapsed, the Angels likely wouldn’t have to spend much to sign him.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 39
- MLBPA files grievance against Astros in regard to draft pick situation 30
- The eyes have it: Thomas’ greatness built on patience 13
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams 191
- Mariners re-acquire Kendrys Morales from Twins for Stephen Pryor 21
- A’s designate $10 million reliever Jim Johnson for assignment 35
- Everything you need to know about next week’s trade deadline 35
- Impending free agent Jon Lester won’t talk contract with the Red Sox until after the season 19
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (191)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (162)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)