Jan 19, 2012, 1:14 PM EDT
Apparently Billy Beane has realized that he has way too many first baseman on his 40-man roster. With Daric Barton, Chris Carter and possibly Kila Ka-aihue in the mix for roster spots during spring training, Jerry Crasnick of ESPN.com reports that the Athletics are shopping Brandon Allen.
Allen, who turns 26 in February, was acquired from the Diamondbacks last July in the Brad Ziegler trade. He has regularly mashed minor league pitching, including a .991 OPS in the hitter-friendly Pacific Coast League last season, but owns an underwhelming .210/.297/.383 batting line over 367 plate appearances at the major league level.
Allen is quickly running out of chances to prove that his minor league numbers can translate to big league success, but he’d make sense as a low-risk flier for several clubs. It’s not clear who the Athletics are talking to, but the Rays (hat-tip to R.J. Anderson of Baseball Prospectus) have been linked to Allen in the past. The Pirates, Orioles, Brewers and Indians are among other potential landing spots.
- Joey Gallo earns Futures Game MVP honors after leading Team USA to victory 3
- Major League Baseball needs to shift the All-Star week schedule 39
- Braves suspend Dan Uggla one game for being extremely tardy on Saturday in Chicago 28
- Cliff Lee on track to return to Phillies’ rotation July 21 4
- MRI shows biceps strain, no structural damage, for Nationals starter Jordan Zimmermann 2
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 22
- Reds hope to get Joey Votto back for the “stretch run” 8
- Jean Segura leaves Brewers following the death of his nine-month-old son 47
- Shocker: the Red Sox publicly criticize A.J. Pierzynski after cutting him (192)
- Masahiro Tanaka diagnosed with partially-torn UCL in elbow (114)
- Giants broadcaster says Angel Hernandez “does not belong in the big leagues” (102)
- David Ortiz is not pleased that his name got pulled into the John Lackey-Nelson Cruz thing (99)
- Woman knocked unconscious during fight between A’s and Giants fans outside AT&T Park (84)