Jan 19, 2012, 1:14 PM EDT
Apparently Billy Beane has realized that he has way too many first baseman on his 40-man roster. With Daric Barton, Chris Carter and possibly Kila Ka-aihue in the mix for roster spots during spring training, Jerry Crasnick of ESPN.com reports that the Athletics are shopping Brandon Allen.
Allen, who turns 26 in February, was acquired from the Diamondbacks last July in the Brad Ziegler trade. He has regularly mashed minor league pitching, including a .991 OPS in the hitter-friendly Pacific Coast League last season, but owns an underwhelming .210/.297/.383 batting line over 367 plate appearances at the major league level.
Allen is quickly running out of chances to prove that his minor league numbers can translate to big league success, but he’d make sense as a low-risk flier for several clubs. It’s not clear who the Athletics are talking to, but the Rays (hat-tip to R.J. Anderson of Baseball Prospectus) have been linked to Allen in the past. The Pirates, Orioles, Brewers and Indians are among other potential landing spots.
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 25
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 24
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 87
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (87)