Jan 19, 2012, 1:14 PM EDT
Apparently Billy Beane has realized that he has way too many first baseman on his 40-man roster. With Daric Barton, Chris Carter and possibly Kila Ka-aihue in the mix for roster spots during spring training, Jerry Crasnick of ESPN.com reports that the Athletics are shopping Brandon Allen.
Allen, who turns 26 in February, was acquired from the Diamondbacks last July in the Brad Ziegler trade. He has regularly mashed minor league pitching, including a .991 OPS in the hitter-friendly Pacific Coast League last season, but owns an underwhelming .210/.297/.383 batting line over 367 plate appearances at the major league level.
Allen is quickly running out of chances to prove that his minor league numbers can translate to big league success, but he’d make sense as a low-risk flier for several clubs. It’s not clear who the Athletics are talking to, but the Rays (hat-tip to R.J. Anderson of Baseball Prospectus) have been linked to Allen in the past. The Pirates, Orioles, Brewers and Indians are among other potential landing spots.
- John Schuerholz defines “The Braves Way.” And it’s a pretty big pile of crap. 51
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 26
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 42
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 46
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 58
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 58
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (124)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (89)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)