Jan 19, 2012, 8:52 AM EDT
Yoenis Cespedes‘ early struggles in the Dominican Winter League playoffs have been well documented, but he finally caught up with one last night. The 26-year-old outfielder turned on a 97 mph fastball from Astros’ Rule 5 pick right-hander Rhiner Cruz for a long home run over the left field fence.
Below is the video footage, courtesy of Baseball America:
Wow. That’s enough swag to make Bryce Harper blush. But honestly, should we expect anything less from this guy?
Cespedes is now 3-for-23 (.130) with six strikeouts in six games with Aguilas Cibaeñas. It’s not clear when he’ll be granted residency in the Dominican Republic, an important hurdle before he can be declared a free agent by MLB.
- Behind strong bullpen, Royals edge Giants 3-2 to take a 2-1 World Series lead 21
- Paul Konerko, Jimmy Rollins named co-winners of the Roberto Clemente Award 2
- The greatest trick this Royals bullpen ever pulled … 3
- Adam Wainwright underwent elbow surgery to “trim” cartilage 12
- World Series, Game 3: Royals vs. Giants lineups 1
- Andrew Friedman got $35 million to leave the Rays for the Dodgers … and he might be underpaid 13
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays 142
- World Series Reset: On to AT&T Park 14
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (142)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (122)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (109)
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? (101)