Jan 20, 2012, 12:55 PM EDT
Earlier this week dozens of players agreed to one-year deals prior to the deadline to submit arbitration figures and even those who didn’t will likely end up inking deals before an actual hearing.
David Ortiz might be different, as the 36-year-old designated hitter said yesterday that he doesn’t expect to reach a compromise before going to arbitration, telling reporters at the Boston Baseball Writers dinner that “it doesn’t seem like it right now.”
Ortiz filed for $16.5 million and the Red Sox countered at $12.65 million, so a pre-hearing settlement would likely be for around $14.5 million.
Prior to Ortiz accepting the Red Sox’s arbitration tender in December he turned down a two-year, $18 million deal and he’s been pretty upfront about his unhappiness with the whole situation, but going through a hearing in which the team is basically forced to make a case against his value isn’t going to make for better feelings.
And as Rob Bradford of WEEI.com points out the Red Sox haven’t gone to an arbitration hearing with a player since 2002.
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 2
- A fan died at Turner Field after falling from the upper deck 33
- Mets acquire Addison Reed from the Diamondbacks 10
- Vin Scully says 2016 will be his last season of broadcasting 28
- Edwin Encarnacion slugs three home runs as Blue Jays thrash Tigers 18
- Mark Teixeira says he’s having “serious pain” when he tries to run 13
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 23
- Vin Scully will return in 2016 for his 67th season of broadcasting 44
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (264)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)