Jan 20, 2012, 9:00 AM EDT
2012: $5.5 million
2013: $9.5 million
2014: $10 million
2015: $10 million
2016: $10 million
2017: $11 million
The deal was initially reported as a six-year, $60 million contract, but it turns out that $56 million is the actual guarantee. However, Wilson reports that Darvish can earn the additional four million through roster bonuses. The contract also includes a lump sum bonus if he wins the Cy Young Award. The Rangers are making an investment of nearly $108 million if you include the $51,703,411 posting fee that will be paid to Darvish’s old team, the Nippon Ham-Fighters.
Per Richard Durrett of ESPNDallas.com, Rangers general manager Jon Daniels said during a radio appearance Thursday morning that Darvish has two possible avenues to opt out of the final year of the contract:
1) If he wins the Cy Young in one year and finishes in the “top three or four” in the balloting in another of the first five years of the contract.
2) If he finishes second for Cy Young in one year and in the top three or four in the balloting in two additional years.
Those are some pretty lofty performance thresholds. But if Darvish somehow reaches them and opts out, it’s safe to say the Rangers would be pretty satisfied with the way things worked out.
Darvish is set to be officially introduced as a member of the Rangers during a press conference tonight at the Ballpark in Arlington.
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 45
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 121
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 86
- The Lester trade is a win-win 112
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 164
- The State of the Trade Deadline: Yesterday was pretty sleepy. Will general managers wake up today? 40
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 49
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 53
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (202)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (164)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (123)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (122)