Jan 20, 2012, 4:16 PM EST
Last month the Rockies acquired Kevin Slowey from the Twins and penciled him into their rotation, but after picking up more pitching in the Seth Smith trade with the A’s they decided Slowey was no longer needed.
Jon Paul Morosi of FOXSports.com reports that the Rockies have traded Slowey to the Indians for pitching prospect Zach Putnam, which is a pretty solid move for Colorado considering he’s more highly thought of than the prospect (Daniel Turpen) they sent to Minnesota for Slowey in the first place.
Slowey gives the Indians some rotation depth in case Fausto Carmona‘s legal situation keeps him from being cleared to pitch (or the team tries to void his contract).
He struggled with the Twins last season, angering management by refusing to accept a bullpen role, but Slowey has generally been a solid mid-rotation starter with mediocre raw stuff and excellent strikeout-to-walk ratios. He’ll make $2.7 million in 2012.
Putnam, who was the Indians’ fifth-round pick in 2008, ranked 10th on Baseball America‘s list of Cleveland’s top prospects.
- Royals sign Edinson Volquez for two years, $20 million 20
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade 75
- Sergio Romo re-signs with the Giants for $15 million 13
- So, apparently we’re sweating the Matt Kemp physical now 45
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba 141
- Marlins complete Michael Morse deal: two years, $16 million 18
- Padres, Rays, Mariners discussing trade involving Wil Myers 36
- It is perfectly clear that A-Rod is the Yankees’ DH. At best. So there will be no drama, right? 37
- Baseball’s highest-ranking Hispanic woman employee sues for discrimination (163)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (143)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (110)
- Done Deal: Yoenis Cespedes and two players traded to Detroit for Rick Porcello and a minor leaguer (105)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)