Jan 20, 2012, 5:08 PM EDT
UPDATE: It’s a done deal. Jon Paul Morosi of FOXSports.com says Gomes will get $1.1 million from the A’s.
Gomes struggled to find work after hitting just .209 with 14 homers and a .714 OPS in 120 games for the Reds and Nationals last season and his poor defense, high strikeout totals, and inability to consistently handle right-handed pitching make him a poor fit as an everyday player.
However, as a part-timer used primarily against left-handed pitching he remains plenty useful, hitting a combined .298 with an .875 OPS off southpaws during the past three seasons.
Both of Oakland’s projected corner outfielders, Josh Reddick and Seth Smith, are left-handed hitters, and Smith’s track record versus lefties is certainly long enough and bad enough that platooning him with Gomes would make lots of sense.
- Dustin Pedroia returns to Red Sox starting lineup 1
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 94
- Jose Reyes is on track to be activated Friday 11
- Dustin Pedroia given cortisone injection for sore left wrist, aiming to return Wednesday 1
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists 230
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (230)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (129)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- We don’t need to celebrate Barry Bonds, but we should avoid whitewashing baseball history (122)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (105)