Jan 20, 2012, 5:08 PM EDT
UPDATE: It’s a done deal. Jon Paul Morosi of FOXSports.com says Gomes will get $1.1 million from the A’s.
Gomes struggled to find work after hitting just .209 with 14 homers and a .714 OPS in 120 games for the Reds and Nationals last season and his poor defense, high strikeout totals, and inability to consistently handle right-handed pitching make him a poor fit as an everyday player.
However, as a part-timer used primarily against left-handed pitching he remains plenty useful, hitting a combined .298 with an .875 OPS off southpaws during the past three seasons.
Both of Oakland’s projected corner outfielders, Josh Reddick and Seth Smith, are left-handed hitters, and Smith’s track record versus lefties is certainly long enough and bad enough that platooning him with Gomes would make lots of sense.
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 69
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 8
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 69
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 25
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 88
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (87)