Mike Napoli has begun running after ankle injury

Jan 20, 2012, 12:02 PM EDT

2011 World Series Game 6 - Texas Rangers v St Louis Cardinals Getty Images

We learned last week that Mike Napoli had yet to run comfortably on the left ankle injury that he suffered in an awkward baserunning play at second base during Game 6 of the World Series against the Cardinals, but he has made some progress over the past few days.

According to Richard Durrett of ESPNDallas.com, Napoli did some straight-line running with minimal discomfort and expects to be ready when spring training begins next month.

“The ankle felt pretty good,” Napoli said. “I ran with a sled to put a little weight behind it and it came out pretty good. I think it’s just me trusting it again. I’m going to have to work through some pain and feel some things, but it’s feeling good. I still have to get some more strength in it, but it’s definitely on its way.”

X-rays on the ankle came back negative for a fracture, but he was diagnosed with “stretched ligaments.”

Napoli, who batted .320 with 30 homers and a 1.046 OPS last season, requested $11.5 million and was offered $8.3 million from the Rangers when arbitration figures were exchanged on Tuesday. He is due to become a free agent following the 2012 season.

1. cur68 - Jan 20, 2012 at 12:34 PM

DJ, please, I’m beggin’ ya, stop with that picture. You gotta have something else of Napoli, don’t you? The sight of his ankle in that twisted position in perpetuity is making me unwell. Why don’t you run with a shot of Scoscia looking all smug or even one of Napoli charging down the baseline before he made that pretzel shape with his joint?

• paperlions - Jan 20, 2012 at 12:38 PM

+1000000000000

• firedude7160 - Jan 20, 2012 at 11:04 PM

I agree. Every time I see that picture I am reminded of the pain I experienced when I dislocated my foot
      *Picture disclaimer- There is no blood/gore, but don’t look if you have weak stomach*

2. JB (the original) - Jan 20, 2012 at 12:53 PM

Hard to believe they were only stretched. I got my foot caught in a gopher hole playing football in a field as a teen and to this day you can see what looks like two ends of frayed rope under the skin between my foot and ankle. My ankle was really prone to re-occurrences for years. (probably should have had the one sewn back together, but at the time I thought ‘it’s just a sprain’ and it got better (well not the ligament, but the ankle in general). Here’s a nice little site (not for the squeamish, there’s surgery shots):

3. sleepyirv - Jan 20, 2012 at 6:18 PM

Mike Scoscia’s mind is so powerful (and spiteful) that it can destroy ankles. Be weary of crossing him.

4. kilo0986 - Jan 20, 2012 at 6:19 PM

Game 6…. *sigh*

Does anyone want to win the NL wild card?
  1. M. Cuddyer (2875)