Jan 20, 2012, 12:02 PM EDT
We learned last week that Mike Napoli had yet to run comfortably on the left ankle injury that he suffered in an awkward baserunning play at second base during Game 6 of the World Series against the Cardinals, but he has made some progress over the past few days.
According to Richard Durrett of ESPNDallas.com, Napoli did some straight-line running with minimal discomfort and expects to be ready when spring training begins next month.
“The ankle felt pretty good,” Napoli said. “I ran with a sled to put a little weight behind it and it came out pretty good. I think it’s just me trusting it again. I’m going to have to work through some pain and feel some things, but it’s feeling good. I still have to get some more strength in it, but it’s definitely on its way.”
X-rays on the ankle came back negative for a fracture, but he was diagnosed with “stretched ligaments.”
Napoli, who batted .320 with 30 homers and a 1.046 OPS last season, requested $11.5 million and was offered $8.3 million from the Rangers when arbitration figures were exchanged on Tuesday. He is due to become a free agent following the 2012 season.
- Astros vendor brings snow cones into bathroom stall, gets fired 17
- Don Mattingly will still be the Dodgers’ manager on Friday 4
- Jake Westbrook feeling lingering discomfort in right elbow 3
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case 62
- Rafael Soriano took back all that stuff he said about Bryce Harper 13
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (117)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (110)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (81)
- Albert Pujols doesn’t matter anymore (74)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (70)
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- HBT: Canseco suspect in Vegas sexual assault
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- OlyTalk: Coach K will lead Team USA in Rio Games