Jan 20, 2012, 12:02 PM EDT
We learned last week that Mike Napoli had yet to run comfortably on the left ankle injury that he suffered in an awkward baserunning play at second base during Game 6 of the World Series against the Cardinals, but he has made some progress over the past few days.
According to Richard Durrett of ESPNDallas.com, Napoli did some straight-line running with minimal discomfort and expects to be ready when spring training begins next month.
“The ankle felt pretty good,” Napoli said. “I ran with a sled to put a little weight behind it and it came out pretty good. I think it’s just me trusting it again. I’m going to have to work through some pain and feel some things, but it’s feeling good. I still have to get some more strength in it, but it’s definitely on its way.”
X-rays on the ankle came back negative for a fracture, but he was diagnosed with “stretched ligaments.”
Napoli, who batted .320 with 30 homers and a 1.046 OPS last season, requested $11.5 million and was offered $8.3 million from the Rangers when arbitration figures were exchanged on Tuesday. He is due to become a free agent following the 2012 season.
- Breaking: The Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers 46
- Both the Phillies and the Rangers did well in the Cole Hamels trade 60
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies 104
- Mets, Brewers call off reported Carlos Gomez trade 75
- Dodgers, Marlins, Braves trade involving Mat Latos “simply being held up by paperwork” 76
- The Tigers are going to “reboot;” plan to trade Price and Cespedes 74
- Why do managers wear uniforms anyway? 49
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 51
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Colin Cowherd wonders how baseball can be considered “complicated” if Dominicans can understand it (129)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Settling the Scores: Wednesday’s results (106)