Jan 20, 2012, 10:47 AM EST
For most Japanese players coming to America the amount a team bids to secure their exclusive negotiating rights through the posting process ends up being similar to the amount they sign for during the 30-day window.
For instance, the Rangers bid $51.7 million for Yu Darvish and then signed him to a six-year, $60 million deal yesterday.
Norichika Aoki‘s situation played out similarly, as the Brewers bid $2.5 million to secure the 30-year-old outfielder’s rights and then inked him to a two-year deal worth $2.25 million plus incentives.
According to the Associated Press he’s taking a big pay cut to play in the majors, as Aoki earned $4.2 million in Japan last season. Milwaukee will pay him $1 million this season and $1.25 million in 2013, with a team option for 2014. If the option is picked up and he reaches every possible incentives, Jon Heyman of CBSSports.com reports that Aoki would get $8.6 million for three years.
In other words he’s being paid like a bench player, which is the role Aoki will likely fill once the Brewers are at full strength in the outfield. However, if Ryan Braun ends up serving his 50-game suspension Aoki will get a chance to play regularly as his replacement in left field.
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 11
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 44
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 26
- Reds sign four-year contract extension with Devin Mesoraco 11
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives 82
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 60
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 48
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 118
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (146)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (93)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (82)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)