R.A. Dickey is back from Mount Kilimanjaro

Jan 20, 2012, 11:01 AM EDT

RA Dickey

R.A. Dickey returned to the United States on Tuesday after successfully reaching the summit of Mount Kilimanjaro last week.

Dickey’s former teammate and current Rockies right-hander Kevin Slowey and Mets bullpen catcher Dave Raccaniello also participated in the climb, which was part of an effort to raise money and awareness for the Bombay Teen Challenge, an organization dedicated to helping victims of sex trafficking in India.

You’ll recall that the Mets sent a letter to Dickey prior to the climb reminding him that they could void his contract in the event that he suffers an injury. Well, they quickly made amends with the knuckleballer once it was clear he was out of harm’s way. Dickey told David Waldstein of the New York Times that the group surpassed their goal of raising $100,000 with the help of a donation from Mets’ CEO Jeff Wilpon.

“He offered his congratulations and made a generous contribution,” Dickey said. “I understood their concerns, and I thought it was a great gesture on their part to help out in the end.”

Well done all around. While the immediate future doesn’t look very promising for the Mets, they are pretty darn fortunate to have someone like Dickey representing the organization.

1. jjschiller - Jan 20, 2012 at 11:11 AM

*champts

2. butchhuskey - Jan 20, 2012 at 11:16 AM

RA Dickey is my favorite current baseball player. It’s impossible not to like this guy.

3. b7p19 - Jan 20, 2012 at 11:19 AM

Wow. I only wish I could claim to have accomplished a feat or two like this in my life so far. Reaching the top of Mt Kilimanjaro AND raising $100,000 to help combat sex trafficing? Well played sir.

4. sdelmonte - Jan 20, 2012 at 11:20 AM

Any word if they finished the bridge to the other Mt Kilimanjaro?

Glad and relieved that RA is back safe.

• acheron2112 - Jan 20, 2012 at 11:57 AM

I’ve heard Kilimanjaro is a bit tricky: most of it is up until you reach the top, and then it slopes down rather sharply.

• thefalcon123 - Jan 20, 2012 at 12:36 PM

As far as big ass mountains go, Kilimanjaro is the easiest of the lot It doesn’t require much technical skill….relatively speaking. Obviously climbing any 19,000 foot mountain is extremely difficult and requires plenty of training. About 5 people die every year attempting to climb it.

Even the easiest of big ass mountains is an amazing feat.

• WhenMattStairsIsKing - Jan 20, 2012 at 4:24 PM

Monty Python for the win!!

5. randygnyc - Jan 20, 2012 at 11:27 AM

And no one really cares. Not even the dozen or so Met fans still in existence.

6. randygnyc - Jan 20, 2012 at 11:29 AM

Loops. I apologize for the snakiness. I posted without reading the entire article. I didn’t know the climb was for a worthy charity.

Well done DA.

• kiwicricket - Jan 20, 2012 at 12:04 PM

I’m sure he would accept the apology…. However, we still think you’re a tool.

• phukyouk - Jan 20, 2012 at 12:06 PM

Charity or not… this guy is the epitimy of class… you sir are the opposite.

• CJ - Jan 20, 2012 at 12:47 PM

it’s ok. reedin iz four lozerz neways

• AMR - Jan 20, 2012 at 6:42 PM

Make amends. Even $5 to the charity should cut it.

7. sportsdrenched.com - Jan 20, 2012 at 12:03 PM

Have you climbed any Mountains? I’ve bagged 3 14ers, all of them for my own amusement so I’m not looking for any props. I’m just saying you can shoot an anaconda. Climbing a mountain takes a little bit of effort.

• sportsdrenched.com - Jan 20, 2012 at 12:04 PM

And props to RA Dickey climbing a 19000 ft mountains AND raising money for a worthy cause.

8. phukyouk - Jan 20, 2012 at 12:03 PM

can we get an over/under before ‘Cepts gets banned again? maybe based on IP this time?

• kopy - Jan 20, 2012 at 12:10 PM

They banned his IP last time. I’m not entirely convinced it’s him, but I don’t know why someone who could this good of a job imitating him would do so.

• phukyouk - Jan 20, 2012 at 12:12 PM

well then they may have to go after his MAC address cause IP aint working. he has yet to deny its him so im fairly certain it is.. i mean its either him or he has a kid out there that he doesnt know about

• trevorb06 - Jan 20, 2012 at 12:19 PM

This implies that ‘cepts would procreat which I just don’t see as possible. I imagine ‘cepts to be much like the charactor Bob on the TV series Becker.

• WhenMattStairsIsKing - Jan 20, 2012 at 4:17 PM

Viruses don’t go away. They can only be hushed down with enough care and treatment.
      In the case of trolls like cepts, bozos and phillieschamps2012, they can only be hushed if we all ignore them.

It’s painfully easy to correct their cruel intention, ignorant views and pitiful attempts at mockery, which can be so bad it makes me wonder if they even love the game at all.

However, if we never commend on their crap, I can’t see why they’d want to continue giving it.

9. trevorb06 - Jan 20, 2012 at 12:16 PM

“the group surpassed their goal of raising $100,000 with the help of a donation from Mets’ CEO Jeff Wilpon.”
    -I understand giving to charity is a good thing, and I also know that the Wilpons are still VERY wealthy individuals but at the same time Mr. Wilpons business is in shambles. I praise him as an individual because this is a very noble cause to give to but I frown on him as a businessman because amid a company (the Mets) in shambles and him maybe knowingly being a part of a Ponzi Scheme it’s not a wise business move.

10. thefalcon123 - Jan 20, 2012 at 12:24 PM

PHeeeewghuh….huh?? That’s insane troll logic. 1. There was story involving Halladay, a boy and an anaconda…not a story about Halladay fighting an anaconda. 2. Even if the Halladay had to fight off a giant, starving anaconda with his bare hands, it is 1/100th as difficult as climbing a 19,000 foot mountain.

Congrats to RA Dickey for once again proving that knuckleballers are awesome in every aspect of their life.

11. cur68 - Jan 20, 2012 at 12:29 PM

Sense of humor fail this AM, gents? I thought this was pretty tongue in cheek. Tell ya what, though, if Halladay wrestles Beavers…I mean anacondas for charity then I’ll be impressed. But, in fact he participated in the rescue of someone who’d wrestled the anaconda without his help. On the one hand, pretty cool, helping out a naked guy with snake bites on his butt, on the other, it was a naked guy with snake bites on his butt. RA climbed a mountain for charity: no naked guys, their butts, or wrestling required. Just a long, difficult trek up to around 6km elevation. Advantage Dickey.

12. Old Gator - Jan 20, 2012 at 12:38 PM

I hope he took some time off to pot-shot some meerkats.

I hate meerkats.

• Jonny 5 - Jan 20, 2012 at 1:09 PM

Well Gator, here is a forum to express your feelings on. Don’t say I never gave you anything.

• Old Gator - Jan 20, 2012 at 2:01 PM

I hate that meerkat too. I hate all meerkats. I don’t want to correct his wretched grammar. I want to put ground glass in his Merlot Nuveau.

• sdelmonte - Jan 20, 2012 at 3:28 PM

Guess I better not get you tickets to The Lion King.

• Old Gator - Jan 20, 2012 at 6:09 PM

Oh Buddha, all those stupid songs – “great cycle of life” my ass. Celebrate nature while your protagonists hobnob happily with their natural prey. Don’t make me barf. I can dig scar – “oh no, don’t sing that piece of crap to me !” But he should have taken Timon, peeled him like a grape, licked all the meat off his miserable little bones and picked his teeth with him.

Meerkats. I hate the little bastards.

13. Jonny 5 - Jan 20, 2012 at 12:47 PM

Anaconda wrestling should be an actual sport. That would be AWESOME!!

14. foreverchipper10 - Jan 20, 2012 at 12:59 PM

I am going to play the jerk here. I know this was for charity and it may be a tax writeoff as well, but with the current financial state of the Mets what business does Wilpon have handing out money? I think this is a great and worthy cause but if you are dealing with well documented financial issues maybe donating money isn’t the best thing to do at the moment.

• CJ - Jan 20, 2012 at 1:05 PM

I’m not his accountant or anything, but I’m quite certain his Wilpon’s personal account is in far better shape than the finances of the Mets’ Organization.

The words “mutually exlusive” come to mind, meaning it’s Wilpon’s “business” to do whatever he wants with his own money. Jerk :)

15. henryd3rd - Jan 20, 2012 at 2:55 PM

This is them positive news associated with the Mets in years. If only Bud Selig would convince Mets’ owners Fred Wilpon and Saul Katz to take one of those perilous journeys and never come back?

• jwbiii - Jan 20, 2012 at 5:06 PM

There’s a Kanchenjunga expedition this spring
      Kanchenjunga has a much higher failure rate than Kilimanjaro. And by failure, I mean death.

• Old Gator - Jan 20, 2012 at 6:10 PM

Now that’s my idea of failure. Of course, the idiot who wrote the lyrics for The Lion King would call it part of the “great cycle of life,” but really, what the hell does he know?

• jwbiii - Jan 20, 2012 at 6:45 PM

To be part of the “great cycle of life,” doesn’t something have to eat you? Snow leopards top out at about 20,000. I think most of the failures occur above that.

• Old Gator - Jan 21, 2012 at 1:54 AM

Well, snow leopards feed mainly on Yeti. If they don’t go up there, it’s Nine Lives or Whiskas. I don’t blame them a bit.

16. JBerardi - Jan 20, 2012 at 6:48 PM

So how many mountains have you climbed lately? Is they keyboard that your fat ass used to type that comment at the top of one?

Managers get easier path to Cooperstown
  1. H. Street (3992)