Jan 20, 2012, 1:46 PM EDT
UPDATE: It’s a done deal. Spilborghs gets a minor-league contract with an invitation to spring training.
Spilborghs was productive in a part-time role for the Rockies from 2006-2010, hitting .281 with a .794 OPS while averaging 308 plate appearances per season, but batted just .210 with a career-low .588 OPS last season and is now 32 years old.
Cleveland has been looking for right-handed-hitting outfield depth to pair with their left-handed-hitting starters Shin-Soo Choo, Grady Sizemore, and Michael Brantley, so Spilborghs would make sense in a bench role.
- Cardinals sign Cuban infielder Aledmys Diaz to a four-year major league contract 0
- UPDATE: Ervin Santana is prepared to wait “days” before signing 41
- Cardinals and Matt Carpenter agree to a six-year, $52 million extension 10
- Jet Blue Park is absolutely incredible 59
- Gary Nolan one of many careers saved by Dr. Frank Jobe 17
- Ian Kinsler hopes Rangers go 0-162, calls GM a “sleazeball” (132)
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (103)
- The politics of “The Cardinal Way” (67)
- Robinson Cano wants the Mariners to bring in Kendrys Morales and Ervin Santana (64)
- Reporter calls Ian Kinsler as self-absorbed as A-Rod (60)