Jan 21, 2012, 9:45 AM EDT
Fausto Carmona, whose real name is reportedly Roberto Hernandez Heredia, was arrested in the Dominican Republic on Thursday for allegedly falsifying his identity. We’re slowly learning more details about how he was exposed.
ESPN’s Pedro Gomez reported on “Outside the Lines” yesterday that Carmona was outed several weeks ago on a popular radio show in Santo Domingo by the mother of the real Fausto Carmona.
You can watch video of Gomez’s report here.
The belief is that Carmona has been paying the family of the real Carmona for the use of his identification and refused to increase hush money payments after the Indians picked up his $7 million club option for 2012 in October. Carmona made $6.1 million with the Indians last season. The U.S. government began an investigation after Carmona was outed on the radio show and he was arrested when he went to apply for his work visa earlier this week.
Carmona was released from jail yesterday on $13,000 bond. He’s actually 31 years old, three years older than previously believed, so many have wondered whether the Indians have just cause to void his contract. According to the Associated Press, Indians general manager Chris Antonetti refused to comment on the situation yesterday, only saying that they are “still gathering information.”
At the very least, it appears the Indians are preparing for the possibility that Carmona will not be granted entry into the United States in time for the start of the season. The club acquired right-hander Kevin Slowey from the Rockies yesterday as some insurance for their starting rotation.
- HBT Daily: How the Royals and Giants were built 2
- Two radio stations in San Francisco are refusing to play Lorde’s “Royals” during the World Series 38
- Royals tab James Shields, Yordano Ventura to start first two games of World Series 1
- Brian Roberts is retiring 13
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? 119
- Video: Watch Travis Ishikawa’s pennant-winning homer 13
- Travis Ishikawa sends Giants to World Series on walk-off three-run homer 79
- NLCS, Game 5: Cardinals vs. Giants lineups 30
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (119)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (94)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)
- Andrew Friedman leaving the Rays to take over as Dodgers President of Baseball Operations (83)
- Quit making a big deal out of anomalies. Most of what happens is meaningless. (82)