Jan 21, 2012, 5:31 PM EDT
The Marlins have made some splashy additions this winter with Jose Reyes, Mark Buehrle and Heath Bell, but they likely won’t be contenders if they don’t get bounceback seasons from two their big two stars, Hanley Ramirez and Josh Johnson.
Ramirez told the Associated Press earlier this month that his surgically-repaired shoulder is 95-percent healed and that he expects to be ready for spring training.
As for Johnson, he was limited to just nine starts last season due right shoulder discomfort and didn’t make another start after May 16. However, during an appearance on 790 AM in Miami earlier today (via Joe Capozzi of the Palm Beach Post), Johnson said that he feels good and will throw off a mound next week for the first time since late-September.
“I’m feeling really good,” Johnson said. “I’ll throw two this next week and then three every week from there on in. Everything is going according to plan.”
Johnson said he will know the exact days of his bullpen sessions after he talks with pitching coach Randy St Claire later this week, but remains confident that he will be ready for the start of spring training and intends to start the Marlins’ season opener on April 4 against the World Series champion Cardinals.
Johnson, who turns 28 later this month, has a 2.98 ERA over his first seven seasons in the majors. He is owed $13.75 million in each of the next two seasons.
- One PED-fueled, record-breaking felon is good. The other PED-fueled, record-breaking felon is bad 75
- Patrick Corbin diagnosed with “damage” to left UCL 38
- The Yankees were no-hit by the Marlins in Panama 36
- Report: Jose Iglesias could miss most of the 2014 season 46
- Manny Machado dealing with scar tissue in knee, increasingly unlikely for Opening Day 10
- Red Sox prospect gets arrested, acts like a monumental jackwagon (107)
- Is Barry Bonds really getting a “fair hearing?” (104)
- Keith Olbermann REALLY hates that Barry Bonds is coaching the Giants for a week (103)
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” (90)
- Giants players love having Barry Bonds at spring training (90)