Jan 21, 2012, 2:10 PM EDT
Nick Markakis is currently working his way back from surgery earlier this month to repair a torn rectus abdominus muscle. During an appearance at Orioles’ FanFest earlier today, the 28-year-old outfielder told Roch Kubatko of MASNSports.com that while he’ll probably be limited until the first week of March, he expects to be ready for Opening Day on April 6 against the Twins.
“I’m feeling good,” he said. “It’s a sensitive area where I got cut open and as far as pain-wise, I don’t have any pain. It’s just uncomfortable. It’s not being able to do certain things I want to do. It seems like a long recovery, but I know it’s going to be over before I know it and then we’ll be rolling.
“I’m just glad to get it done and I’m just ready to get it all over with,” Markakis said. “I’ll be ready for Opening Day.”
Markakis is beginning to ramp up his rehab following surgery, currently focusing on pool activities to strengthen his core and some light jogging.
Markakis batted .284/.351/.406 with 15 home runs, 73 RBI, 12 stolen bases and a .756 OPS last season while winning his first Gold Glove Award for his play in right field. He signed a six-year, $66 million contract extension with the Orioles in January of 2009 which will pay him $12 million this season, $15 million in 2013 and 2014 and either a $17.5 million club option or a $2 million buyout in 2015.
- Jonathan Papelbon makes it clear, again: He wants out of Philadelphia 28
- Looking at the All-Star team snubs and surprises 44
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 46
- “Final Vote” balloting opens for 2015 MLB All-Star Game 39
- Pitchers and reserves for 2015 MLB All-Star Game announced 64
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 51
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced 106
- That time Manny Ramirez nearly became a Met 10
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced (106)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)