Jan 21, 2012, 2:10 PM EDT
Nick Markakis is currently working his way back from surgery earlier this month to repair a torn rectus abdominus muscle. During an appearance at Orioles’ FanFest earlier today, the 28-year-old outfielder told Roch Kubatko of MASNSports.com that while he’ll probably be limited until the first week of March, he expects to be ready for Opening Day on April 6 against the Twins.
“I’m feeling good,” he said. “It’s a sensitive area where I got cut open and as far as pain-wise, I don’t have any pain. It’s just uncomfortable. It’s not being able to do certain things I want to do. It seems like a long recovery, but I know it’s going to be over before I know it and then we’ll be rolling.
“I’m just glad to get it done and I’m just ready to get it all over with,” Markakis said. “I’ll be ready for Opening Day.”
Markakis is beginning to ramp up his rehab following surgery, currently focusing on pool activities to strengthen his core and some light jogging.
Markakis batted .284/.351/.406 with 15 home runs, 73 RBI, 12 stolen bases and a .756 OPS last season while winning his first Gold Glove Award for his play in right field. He signed a six-year, $66 million contract extension with the Orioles in January of 2009 which will pay him $12 million this season, $15 million in 2013 and 2014 and either a $17.5 million club option or a $2 million buyout in 2015.
- Cuba’s best pitching prospect is on his way to America 5
- Will Smith suspended for eight games for the foreign substance on his arm 35
- Will Smith’s ejection once again shows baseball’s silly approach to foreign substance rules 44
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 89
- Who really owns a home run ball? 65
- The story behind the Nationals squirting chocolate syrup on each other after big wins 43
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 130
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” 128
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (130)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (130)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)