Jan 21, 2012, 2:10 PM EST
Nick Markakis is currently working his way back from surgery earlier this month to repair a torn rectus abdominus muscle. During an appearance at Orioles’ FanFest earlier today, the 28-year-old outfielder told Roch Kubatko of MASNSports.com that while he’ll probably be limited until the first week of March, he expects to be ready for Opening Day on April 6 against the Twins.
“I’m feeling good,” he said. “It’s a sensitive area where I got cut open and as far as pain-wise, I don’t have any pain. It’s just uncomfortable. It’s not being able to do certain things I want to do. It seems like a long recovery, but I know it’s going to be over before I know it and then we’ll be rolling.
“I’m just glad to get it done and I’m just ready to get it all over with,” Markakis said. “I’ll be ready for Opening Day.”
Markakis is beginning to ramp up his rehab following surgery, currently focusing on pool activities to strengthen his core and some light jogging.
Markakis batted .284/.351/.406 with 15 home runs, 73 RBI, 12 stolen bases and a .756 OPS last season while winning his first Gold Glove Award for his play in right field. He signed a six-year, $66 million contract extension with the Orioles in January of 2009 which will pay him $12 million this season, $15 million in 2013 and 2014 and either a $17.5 million club option or a $2 million buyout in 2015.
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 18
- Reds sign four-year contract extension with Devin Mesoraco 11
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives 74
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 60
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 48
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 118
- Yankees reject A-Rod’s apology attempt 48
- Joe Posnanski: Remembering ‘Mr. Cub,’ Ernie Banks 18
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (146)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)
- Ernie Banks, one of baseball’s greatest players and greatest ambassadors has died at age 83 (75)