Jan 21, 2012, 2:10 PM EDT
Nick Markakis is currently working his way back from surgery earlier this month to repair a torn rectus abdominus muscle. During an appearance at Orioles’ FanFest earlier today, the 28-year-old outfielder told Roch Kubatko of MASNSports.com that while he’ll probably be limited until the first week of March, he expects to be ready for Opening Day on April 6 against the Twins.
“I’m feeling good,” he said. “It’s a sensitive area where I got cut open and as far as pain-wise, I don’t have any pain. It’s just uncomfortable. It’s not being able to do certain things I want to do. It seems like a long recovery, but I know it’s going to be over before I know it and then we’ll be rolling.
“I’m just glad to get it done and I’m just ready to get it all over with,” Markakis said. “I’ll be ready for Opening Day.”
Markakis is beginning to ramp up his rehab following surgery, currently focusing on pool activities to strengthen his core and some light jogging.
Markakis batted .284/.351/.406 with 15 home runs, 73 RBI, 12 stolen bases and a .756 OPS last season while winning his first Gold Glove Award for his play in right field. He signed a six-year, $66 million contract extension with the Orioles in January of 2009 which will pay him $12 million this season, $15 million in 2013 and 2014 and either a $17.5 million club option or a $2 million buyout in 2015.
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels 0
- Matt Cain is going to pay a visit to Dr. Andrews 3
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode 61
- The Red Sox are expected to deal Jon Lester and the Pirates are a “dark horse” 29
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 48
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter passes Carl Yastrzemski for seventh on all-time hits list 68
- Ray Rice is awful, but let’s not pretend baseball has a great record on domestic violence 91
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 50
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (157)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (99)