Jan 21, 2012, 10:13 PM EST
Bard requested $1.825 million and was offered $1.4 million when arbitration figures were exchanged on Tuesday. It took less than a week for his agent and the Red Sox front office to find a middle ground.
Bard has registered a spectacular 2.88 ERA and 213/76 K/BB ratio through the first 197 innings of his major league career. But all those numbers came in relief. The 26-year-old will get an opportunity this spring to crack the Red Sox’ starting rotation.
- Roy Halladay is retiring 27
- Tony La Russa Bobby Cox, Joe Torre all unanimously elected to the Hall of Fame 27
- Tony Blengino says recent report on Seattle front office is “just the tip of the iceberg” 45
- Rakuten Golden Eagles appear likely to allow Masahiro Tanaka’s departure to MLB 46
- 2013 Winter Meetings Preview 23
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (160)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (112)