Jan 21, 2012, 10:13 PM EDT
Bard requested $1.825 million and was offered $1.4 million when arbitration figures were exchanged on Tuesday. It took less than a week for his agent and the Red Sox front office to find a middle ground.
Bard has registered a spectacular 2.88 ERA and 213/76 K/BB ratio through the first 197 innings of his major league career. But all those numbers came in relief. The 26-year-old will get an opportunity this spring to crack the Red Sox’ starting rotation.
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 50
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 54
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 4
- A-Rod, the Yankees and the union in talks to direct his $6 million home run bonus to charity 29
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 51
- Video: Joey Butler breaks up Carlos Carrasco’s no-hitter with two outs in the ninth inning 12
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 17
- Jerry Dipoto loses power struggle with Mike Scioscia, steps down as Angels general manager 39
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (77)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)