Jan 21, 2012, 10:13 PM EST
Bard requested $1.825 million and was offered $1.4 million when arbitration figures were exchanged on Tuesday. It took less than a week for his agent and the Red Sox front office to find a middle ground.
Bard has registered a spectacular 2.88 ERA and 213/76 K/BB ratio through the first 197 innings of his major league career. But all those numbers came in relief. The 26-year-old will get an opportunity this spring to crack the Red Sox’ starting rotation.
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 85
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 8
- Ichiro Suzuki’s deal with the Marlins is worth $2 million 28
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 33
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 50
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 26
- Reds sign four-year contract extension with Devin Mesoraco 11
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives 82
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (146)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (102)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (93)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (82)