Jan 21, 2012, 10:13 PM EST
Bard requested $1.825 million and was offered $1.4 million when arbitration figures were exchanged on Tuesday. It took less than a week for his agent and the Red Sox front office to find a middle ground.
Bard has registered a spectacular 2.88 ERA and 213/76 K/BB ratio through the first 197 innings of his major league career. But all those numbers came in relief. The 26-year-old will get an opportunity this spring to crack the Red Sox’ starting rotation.
- Report: Giants close to acquiring Casey McGehee from Marlins 4
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 53
- Justin Upton traded to the Padres for three prospects 79
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. 139
- Jake Peavy agrees to a two-year, $24 million deal to stay with the San Francisco Giants 24
- Matt Kemp has officially been traded to the Padres 29
- Padres acquire catcher Derek Norris from Athletics 35
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site 90
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (139)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (111)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)