Jan 21, 2012, 8:56 PM EDT
The Red Sox traded infielder Marco Scutaro to the Rockies on Saturday afternoon in order to free themselves of his $6 million salary commitment for 2012. And they are expected to now channel that freed up cash into the acquisition of a new starter.
A source told ESPN.com’s Jerry Crasnick that the Boston front office is planning an “aggressive bid” for free agent right-hander Roy Oswalt. They could also target free agent right-hander Edwin Jackson and explore a trade for White Sox left-hander John Danks.
Oswalt, 34, registered a 3.69 ERA, 93/33 K/BB ratio and 1.34 WHIP in 139 innings (23 starts) last season for the Phillies. He’s thought to be seeking a one-year contract in the $8-$12 million range.
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 87
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 75
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 81
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 69
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 22
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 115
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 55
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (116)