Jan 21, 2012, 8:56 PM EDT
The Red Sox traded infielder Marco Scutaro to the Rockies on Saturday afternoon in order to free themselves of his $6 million salary commitment for 2012. And they are expected to now channel that freed up cash into the acquisition of a new starter.
A source told ESPN.com’s Jerry Crasnick that the Boston front office is planning an “aggressive bid” for free agent right-hander Roy Oswalt. They could also target free agent right-hander Edwin Jackson and explore a trade for White Sox left-hander John Danks.
Oswalt, 34, registered a 3.69 ERA, 93/33 K/BB ratio and 1.34 WHIP in 139 innings (23 starts) last season for the Phillies. He’s thought to be seeking a one-year contract in the $8-$12 million range.
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game 141
- The Winners and Losers at the Trade Deadline 66
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 11
- Report: Yoenis Cespedes heading to the New York Mets 36
- The Blue Jays pick up Ben Revere from the Phillies 65
- Cubs trade for Dan Haren 28
- Cardinals add more bullpen help, get Jonathan Broxton from Brewers 13
- Orioles trade for Brewers outfielder Gerardo Parra 19
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (159)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (90)