Yu Darvish’s father is not a fan of the posting system

Jan 21, 2012, 1:18 PM EDT

Texas Rangers Introduce Yu Darvish Getty Images

After securing exclusive negotiating rights for Yu Darvish with a record $51,703,411 posting fee last month, the Rangers signed the 25-year-old right-hander to a six-year contract this week which guarantees him $56 million.

While everyone appears to be pleased with the outcome, Yu’s father, Farsad Darvish, told Richard Durrett of ESPNDallas.com following the press conference last night that he’s against the current posting system.

“It was a long process, even the posting,” Farsad said. “I’m really against posting. You literally put people in auctions. He’s got no choice and it’s a 30-day deadline. It’s a lot of pressure on the representatives and the team. It’s up and down. I’m just happy this day has come. It’s nice to be here.”

And why wouldn’t he say that? Just think of the contract Darvish would have signed if he was on the open market this winter? He was only allowed to talk to one team, which gives him little-to-no leverage in negotiations, and the posting fee undoubtedly had an impact on how much the Rangers were willing to pay him.

Darvish wasn’t set to become an unrestricted free agent until after the 2014 season, so this is mostly a fantasy. But many are unsatisfied with how the current posting system works. Some have proposed changes that would allow the top three bidders to negotiate with a player or possibly tie part of the posting fee into the player’s contract. This is all speculation for now and it doesn’t sound like change is necessarily around the corner, but MLB officials plan to discuss ways to improve the current system as part of ongoing meetings of the new International Talent Committee.

1. cur68 - Jan 21, 2012 at 1:45 PM

Chootalkin’boutchamps? This is the first quote by Darvish Sr. I’ve seen. Has he been on twitter (I don’t twit, so maybe he has been: I’da missed it), giving interviews to radio shows, front porch of his home to reporter talks, or anything like that? I mean its one thing if he’s around the internets and networks volunteering his opinion and QUITE another if he’s answering a question being posed directly to him at his son’s pressor. If the latter, lets give the man the benefit of the doubt till his kids been in MLB longer than a sneeze. If the latter….yeah, be quiet Mr. Darvish.

• cur68 - Jan 21, 2012 at 1:49 PM

Du-oh! I meant that final “latter” to be a “former”. Too many conversations at once: lost my train of thought there…

2. antlerclaws - Jan 21, 2012 at 2:14 PM

Daddy Darvish was educated in the U.S. and speaks English; Yu only speaks limited English, so it’s only natural Dad is a go-to guy for interviews since they’re traveling together.

• old97 - Jan 22, 2012 at 10:19 AM

The dad is NOT Yu’s translator. He wasn’t involved in the press conference – a professional translator was. He’s the kid’s dad. Of course he’s going to be around. He’s the only one in the family, and one of the few in the entourage, who speaks English. Of course the press are going to ask him questions.

Yu is going to be fine as far as attitude and cooperation is concerned. I’m losing far more sleep over his ability than I am about him fitting in and being a good team guy.

I love the rush to judgment found on these boards. Don’t let facts and stuff get in the way of your knee-jerk reaction, boys!

3. dondada10 - Jan 21, 2012 at 2:45 PM

He wouldn’t have been a free-agent until 2014? Hasn’t he pitched 7 or so seasons over there? Either he was posted midst an extension, or the real problem is the free-agency system in Japan.

• cur68 - Jan 21, 2012 at 2:59 PM

Jeez man, the guy’s old man just got onto the radar here. Give him a while before you start lambasting him. So far its not like he’s 2nd guessing coaches or criticizing the organization his son plays for. He’s just saying he doesn’t like the posting system. Fair enough. He’s not blaming anyone, just explaining his reason for not liking it. Hell, I don’t like it either, for the same reasons Darvish Sr doesn’t like it. I say give the man till through spring training: if we keep hearing his negative opinions etc then maybe yu got some traction here, otherwise it sure seems like you’re having to stretch what little he’s said into a full blown Tony Rasmus.

• mattjg - Jan 21, 2012 at 3:26 PM

So the fact that top draft picks are paid less than their value means international players should be paid less than their value? Japanese players like Darvish who come over after playing in the Japanese leagues are already in their mid-20’s when they get here; if they were paid like draft picks they wouldn’t hit free agency until past their prime and would miss out on the big payday that most stars get.

• cur68 - Jan 21, 2012 at 4:47 PM

Simple answer? That’s a HELL YES Darvish gets paid more as a free agent. See the last half of DJ’s post for the reasons. Darvish Sr. is right: from the perspective of the athlete the system sees them underpaid relative to their price as a free agent. But “meh, it is what it is” seems to be what he’s saying. Not “Ron Washington hates my son” or even a remote equivalent to that. If he starts that shit then you got a beef. As for all this passion over a few honest remarks: man, its a stretch to paint this guy with the same brush. Give him a chance.

• msgiants2010 - Jan 21, 2012 at 7:47 PM

Ah, phillieschamps2012, it WAS you who intentionally vomited on that woman at a Phillies game. Thought you looked familiar.

• jwbiii - Jan 22, 2012 at 2:22 PM

The reserve system in Japan runs for 8 or 9 years, depending on how a player chooses to be drafted. Unlike in MLB, the clock starts running when a player signs his first contract. Japanese players are more likely to reach free agency quicker than MLB players.

For example, in the Japanese system, Robinson Cano would have been a free agent before the 2009 season.

4. theonlynolan - Jan 21, 2012 at 3:36 PM

Maybe they could work out a way for the player to get a certain cut of the money in the form of a signing bonus once a contract is agreed upon. Say 10%.

• jwbiii - Jan 22, 2012 at 3:01 PM

“No man is going to sell my carcass unless I get half.” – Deacon White

5. rcali - Jan 21, 2012 at 3:39 PM

That’s a lot of coin for a AAA pitcher, Mr. Darvish should just be happy he was able to steal so much money.

6. mattjg - Jan 21, 2012 at 3:48 PM

I don’t get the argument, “He hasn’t proven himself in the majors, so he doesn’t deserve a big contract.” I hear this all the time in terms of both international free agents in baseball and rookies in every sport. Does anyone ever pay for past performance rather than expected future performance?

Do these people go to a car dealership and say, “I’m not paying $25,000 for a 2012 Honda Accord. Tell you what though, I’ll give you $25,000 for that ’08 Accord though; it’s proven itself?”

The reason any team pays any amount of money to a free agent, assuming the team cares about making money, is because it believes that player will generate at least that amount of revenue for the team over the life of the contract. Darvish isn’t stealing any money. The Rangers rationally believe that by having Darvish, they will make $120 million or so more than if they did not have him. I can see why Darvish’s dad is upset that Darvish is expected to generate over $120 million for the Rangers while Darvish will receive only half that amount.

I have no problem with the idea of a posting system or something like it; Darvish was under contract with a team in Japan and that team should be compensated if he leaves before his contract is up. That being said, I understand why Darvish’s dad is frustrated.

• mattjg - Jan 21, 2012 at 5:10 PM

I realize that by responding I’m only feeding your trolling, but rather than calling me names, can you tell me what part of my argument you disagree with?

• brewcitybummer - Jan 21, 2012 at 6:49 PM

I think we need a term for middle age white men who start every other sentence out of their mouth with “This is whats wrong with (America, baseball, people, etc.) today…

• cur68 - Jan 21, 2012 at 8:20 PM

I know! ” ‘cepts”. There’s your term, right there. I give him till June then his ass’ll be banned again. Too bad. I had hopes he’d reformed, even just a little. Still the same drunken, bi-polar idiot.

• Kevin S. - Jan 22, 2012 at 3:08 PM

Looks like it didn’t take that long. This thread reads really weird now, though.

7. Chris K - Jan 21, 2012 at 4:47 PM

Isn’t this how it sports in soccer in the world outside of north america with the transfer system?

In a wonderful world with no salary caps or drafts, cash is king. Smaller teams sell the negotiating rights of great players to the highest bidder and use those funds to better themselves. They lose Yu, but overall they probably come out on top in terms if begetting their team.

Personally, I think a system like that is a lot more fair to athletes wanting to charge fair market value than a draft. The problem here seems to come from the fact that we in north america operate on a different system than the rest of the world in terms of transfers, and the japanese reserve clause keeps players for like 10 years. The meshing of the two don’t seem to work but I don’t think we have a better way of making the two systems communicate short of sending a zombie army if kurt flood comes to japan…

8. dgrindsports - Jan 21, 2012 at 5:15 PM

Yeah, even though he got a ton of money and the system worked out pretty well, he hates it. Uh, helloo?!

For all things sports and our Championship picks, google Daily Grind Sports

• George - Jan 21, 2012 at 5:40 PM

You really need to knock it off with this crap. If you’re only here to promote your site, then go the hell away.

• crisisjunky - Jan 21, 2012 at 8:56 PM

Championship Pick your Vulture ass up and take your Daily GRINDER of poor gambling addicted souls, and suck the life and money from families over at some gambing website.

and considering the content, the comments are obviously meant only as segue…

9. atxjustin - Jan 21, 2012 at 5:35 PM

Champs,

You must be Biceps reincarnate. You’re such a douche. Please GO AWAY.

Signed,
    Everybody at HBT

10. atxjustin - Jan 21, 2012 at 5:37 PM

Champs,

You must be Biceps reincarnate. If so, I didnt like you then but I HATE you now. You’re such a douche. Please GO AWAY.

Signed,
    Everybody at HBT

11. tuckyous - Jan 21, 2012 at 7:18 PM

There’s a broken record in this thread. That record is definitively stupid.

12. wintwins - Jan 21, 2012 at 8:38 PM

I’m pretty sure bicepts always sides against minorities on principle.

• cur68 - Jan 21, 2012 at 8:57 PM

So I shouldn’t tell him I’m black, then? Doesn’t matter either way, I suppose. He seems to have decided I’m “against him”.

• bigxrob - Jan 21, 2012 at 10:40 PM

The fact that you’re Canadian should be enough to draw his ire, cur.

• cur68 - Jan 21, 2012 at 10:58 PM

Du-oh! Double whammy for me, I guess.

13. lookatthefarside - Jan 22, 2012 at 7:18 AM

Capitalism at its finest!

Do Royals or A's have the edge tonight?
  1. D. Jeter (3530)