Jan 22, 2012, 3:40 PM EDT
From the New York Daily News‘ Andy Martino:
Jorge Posada is expected to hold a news conference at Yankee Stadium early this week, likely Tuesday, to formally announce his retirement, according to a person familiar with the plans.
The news comes as no surprise. Posada headed into this offseason with the intention of continuing his career, but his mind seemed to change as interest in him failed to grow and he confirmed to MLB.com’s Adam Berry last week that he was done for good.
Posada, 40, finishes with a .273/.374/.474 career batting line, 1,664 career hits and 275 career home runs.
- Yordano Ventura ejected for hitting Brett Lawrie with a pitch 14
- Pete Rose joins FOX as a baseball analyst 18
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 55
- Josh Hamilton’s teammates say he’s in great shape and ready to play 28
- Mike Trout hit his 100th career home run to become the youngest member of the 100 HR/100 SB club 26
- Make that two: Alex Rodriguez hits second homer of the night, giving him 658 for his career 47
- Alex Rodriguez hit his 657th career home run 48
- Let’s all just stare at Kris Bryant’s numbers for a while 28
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract (153)
- “Why Ted Cruz is like the Atlanta Braves” (150)
- “We no longer need the terrorists. We’re now so good at terrorizing ourselves.” (143)
- Another argument in favor of making the DH universal (127)
- When it comes to Josh Hamilton, Arte Moreno is a craven opportunist, not a “smart businessman” (116)