Jan 22, 2012, 8:39 AM EDT
From Dionisio Soldevila of the Associated Press comes word that the Indians have signed veteran infielder Julio Lugo to a minor league contract.
The deal includes an invitation to major league spring training, but Lugo seems like a longshot to crack the Indians’ Opening Day roster. He registered a brutal .136/.208/.136 slash line in 48 plate appearances last year for the Braves and a .249/.298/.282 line across 264 plate appearances in 2010 as a member of the Orioles. On top of all that, Lugo turned 36 years old this past November.
- Sandy Alderson is not going to “roll over” for Scott Boras and shut down Matt Harvey 64
- Dodgers are already fed up with 6.56 ERA-pitching, excuse-making Mat Latos 50
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 58
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 24
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 146
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 145
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (146)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (145)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (107)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (101)
- Why Mike Mussina keeps getting hosed in the Hall of Fame voting (90)