Jan 22, 2012, 8:39 AM EDT
From Dionisio Soldevila of the Associated Press comes word that the Indians have signed veteran infielder Julio Lugo to a minor league contract.
The deal includes an invitation to major league spring training, but Lugo seems like a longshot to crack the Indians’ Opening Day roster. He registered a brutal .136/.208/.136 slash line in 48 plate appearances last year for the Braves and a .249/.298/.282 line across 264 plate appearances in 2010 as a member of the Orioles. On top of all that, Lugo turned 36 years old this past November.
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 18
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 5
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 86
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 52
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 48
- Video: Rusney Castillo notches his first major league hit 7
- Michael Wacha cleared to return Saturday vs. Reds 2
- Marlins officially shut down Giancarlo Stanton for the season 6
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (90)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (86)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)