Jan 22, 2012, 8:39 AM EDT
From Dionisio Soldevila of the Associated Press comes word that the Indians have signed veteran infielder Julio Lugo to a minor league contract.
The deal includes an invitation to major league spring training, but Lugo seems like a longshot to crack the Indians’ Opening Day roster. He registered a brutal .136/.208/.136 slash line in 48 plate appearances last year for the Braves and a .249/.298/.282 line across 264 plate appearances in 2010 as a member of the Orioles. On top of all that, Lugo turned 36 years old this past November.
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 60
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 6
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 67
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 24
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 88
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (85)