Jan 22, 2012, 2:14 PM EST
Finally, some promising news on Justin Morneau.
According to Joe Christensen of the Minneapolis Star-Tribune, the 30-year-old first baseman has been participating in strenuous workouts for over a month at a training facility in Phoenix and has not experienced a concussion-related symptom yet.
There’s still some concern that Morneau’s head issues will resurface when spring training opens and he’s exposed to the heat and sunlight of a typical March in Fort Myers, Florida. But, so far so good.
“I wouldn’t say the head’s perfect yet,” Morneau told the Star-Tribune. “I’m not going to declare that until I go through fielding ground balls, playing catch, taking batting practice, doing all the baseball stuff. But what I was able to do today is miles ahead of where I was at this time last year.”
Morneau batted just .227/.285/.333 with four home runs and 30 RBI across 288 plate appearances last year and has played in only 150 games over the past two seasons. The native of British Columbia was the American League’s Most Valuable Player in 2006 and was a .282/.352/.505 hitter between ’04 and ’09.
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 72
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 34
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 72
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 130
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 84
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 157
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (128)