Jan 22, 2012, 2:14 PM EDT
Finally, some promising news on Justin Morneau.
According to Joe Christensen of the Minneapolis Star-Tribune, the 30-year-old first baseman has been participating in strenuous workouts for over a month at a training facility in Phoenix and has not experienced a concussion-related symptom yet.
There’s still some concern that Morneau’s head issues will resurface when spring training opens and he’s exposed to the heat and sunlight of a typical March in Fort Myers, Florida. But, so far so good.
“I wouldn’t say the head’s perfect yet,” Morneau told the Star-Tribune. “I’m not going to declare that until I go through fielding ground balls, playing catch, taking batting practice, doing all the baseball stuff. But what I was able to do today is miles ahead of where I was at this time last year.”
Morneau batted just .227/.285/.333 with four home runs and 30 RBI across 288 plate appearances last year and has played in only 150 games over the past two seasons. The native of British Columbia was the American League’s Most Valuable Player in 2006 and was a .282/.352/.505 hitter between ’04 and ’09.
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 15
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 238
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 3
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards 141
- It sure sounds like Adam Wainwright suffered a torn Achilles tendon on Saturday night 40
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 33
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 98
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 78
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (247)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (156)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (149)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)