Justin Morneau hasn’t felt concussion symptoms since Dec.

Jan 22, 2012, 2:14 PM EDT

morneau getty Getty Images

Finally, some promising news on Justin Morneau.

According to Joe Christensen of the Minneapolis Star-Tribune, the 30-year-old first baseman has been participating in strenuous workouts for over a month at a training facility in Phoenix and has not experienced a concussion-related symptom yet.

There’s still some concern that Morneau’s head issues will resurface when spring training opens and he’s exposed to the heat and sunlight of a typical March in Fort Myers, Florida. But, so far so good.

“I wouldn’t say the head’s perfect yet,” Morneau told the Star-Tribune. “I’m not going to declare that until I go through fielding ground balls, playing catch, taking batting practice, doing all the baseball stuff. But what I was able to do today is miles ahead of where I was at this time last year.”

Morneau batted just .227/.285/.333 with four home runs and 30 RBI across 288 plate appearances last year and has played in only 150 games over the past two seasons. The native of British Columbia was the American League’s Most Valuable Player in 2006 and was a .282/.352/.505 hitter between ’04 and ’09.

1. gbiscottagecheesefatties - Jan 22, 2012 at 4:54 PM

Good for him… I see the Twins making a huge comeback from last year and should be able to give the Indians a run for their money this year in the div.

2. 1wildfan1 - Jan 22, 2012 at 7:05 PM

Yeah, but once he walks down some stairs & jars his body, he will reinjure himself. Get him healthy & trade him

3. wintwins - Jan 22, 2012 at 7:30 PM

December was just last month; this doesn’t sound all that encouraging to me. I guess this shows how bad off he was last offseason. Good luck to him.

4. jimnsota - Jan 22, 2012 at 9:52 PM

I got an idea lets sit Morneau and Mauer till June then maybe they can play in some meaning full games at the end of the season.

5. takingbovadasmoney - Jan 22, 2012 at 10:49 PM

The interview took hours because Morneau had to stop every 15 minutes to wipe his drool.

• jasonc2300 - Jan 23, 2012 at 8:43 AM

Man, head injuries are hilarious.

6. Francisco (FC) - Jan 23, 2012 at 9:28 AM

Justin Morneau hasn’t felt concussion symptoms since Dec.

Hey, neither have I! Then again, I still don’t remember all that much from the Christmas Party…

7. WhenMattStairsIsKing - Jan 23, 2012 at 12:46 PM

Get well soon, Justin. You’re a talented guy and the game misses you.

8. natsattack - Jan 23, 2012 at 3:25 PM

Hope he can play as well as he used too, we have plenty of stories of ballplayers who “where never the same again”. Good Luck to you, Mr. Morneau

Alex Gordon, MVP candidate