Jan 22, 2012, 6:32 PM EDT
The Mariners have added a touch of gray to their otherwise-under-30 starting rotation depth chart.
The deal comes with an invitation to spring training, where Millwood will get a legitimate chance at claiming a spot as the club’s third, fourth or fifth starter. (It gets kind of murky there beyond Felix Hernandez and Jason Vargas).
Millwood, 37, posted a surprising 3.98 ERA and 1.22 WHIP in nine starts for the Rockies last season, issuing only eight walks in 54 1/3 innings. He’ll challenge Japanese right-hander Hisashi Iwakuma and youngsters Blake Beavan, Hector Noesi and Charlie Furbush down in Mariners camp.
- Pineda and pine tar: baseball is, once again, sending mixed signals about cheating 11
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 19
- Clayton Kershaw cleared to begin rehab assignment on Friday at High-A Rancho Cucamonga 2
- Michael Pineda ejected in second inning for pine tar on neck, facing a 10-game suspension 128
- Mark Trumbo diagnosed with stress fracture in foot 10
- Josh Lueke is a rapist. How often does that bear repeating? (200)
- Benches clear in Pittsburgh after the Brewers’ Carlos Gomez bat flips a third-inning triple (183)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (169)
- Michael Pineda ejected in second inning for pine tar on neck, facing a 10-game suspension (129)
- Chipper Jones chimed in on the Carlos Gomez incident (111)