Jan 22, 2012, 6:32 PM EST
The Mariners have added a touch of gray to their otherwise-under-30 starting rotation depth chart.
The deal comes with an invitation to spring training, where Millwood will get a legitimate chance at claiming a spot as the club’s third, fourth or fifth starter. (It gets kind of murky there beyond Felix Hernandez and Jason Vargas).
Millwood, 37, posted a surprising 3.98 ERA and 1.22 WHIP in nine starts for the Rockies last season, issuing only eight walks in 54 1/3 innings. He’ll challenge Japanese right-hander Hisashi Iwakuma and youngsters Blake Beavan, Hector Noesi and Charlie Furbush down in Mariners camp.
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Jonson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 0
- Report: Pablo Sandoval and the Red Sox agree to a five-year deal at close to $100 million 99
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 44
- Report: Red Sox finalizing a 5-year, $90 million deal with Hanley Ramirez 33
- MLB players react to Odell Beckham, Jr. catch on Sunday Night Football 25
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 77
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 35
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 72
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (129)