MLB execs think Dodgers will be “in play” for Prince Fielder

Jan 22, 2012, 12:51 PM EST

fielder getty face Getty Images

This is more speculation than rumor, but it’s worth passing along anyway given the subject matter.

Joel Sherman of the New York Post says a “surprising number” of team executives have told him that they think the Dodgers will “ulimtately be in play” for free agent first baseman Prince Fielder.

That might seem impossible given the Dodgers’ in-flux ownership situation, but keep in mind that they were able to sign outfielder Matt Kemp to a club-record eight-year, $160 million contract extension earlier this winter and that bids for the franchise are expected to surpass $1.5 billion once current owner Frank McCourt finally goes to market. Whoever ends up buying team will surely have deep pockets, and will likely be able to afford whatever Fielder and his agent Scott Boras end up commanding.

Heck, adding Fielder could even help McCourt’s bottom line if it improves the club’s perceived value.

The 27-year-old slugger batted .299/.415/.566 with 38 home runs and 120 RBI in 692 plate appearances last season for the National League Central champion Brewers. He owns a spectacular .929 career OPS.

If the Dodgers get serious about landing Fielder, they’ll likely begin shopping James Loney simultaneously.

1. Old Gator - Jan 22, 2012 at 1:11 PM

As a longtime student of semantics and its bastard stepchild, semiotics (in the sense that the child is father to the man, especially if the mother was his ninth grade English teacher from Seattle or Orlando, or some such thing), I am fascinated by the hierarchical relationship between “speculation” and “rumor,” and wonder if that might be anything like the semantic relationship between “fat” and “morbidly obese.”

This job is too big for Strunk and White. Let me consult my Derrida and get back to you.

• seattlej - Jan 22, 2012 at 1:22 PM

As in, “Is Prince Fielder morbidly obese, or merely fat?”

• Old Gator - Jan 22, 2012 at 1:53 PM

Wel no, we’ve long established that he is indeed, technically speaking, morbidly obese. What I want to know is when mere speculation becomes actual rumor, and/or can a decaying rumor deteriorate into mere speculation?

Doctoral dissertations have been constructed on less weigthy interrogations than that.

• crisisjunky - Jan 22, 2012 at 3:19 PM

Can we speculate on a discernable area where a Baseball Player deteriorates into a D.H.?

• phillieschamps2012 - Jan 22, 2012 at 3:42 PM

You are an idiot.

“Can we then metaphorically establish the relationship between the words ‘Fielder’ and ‘Baseball Player’?”

In my 41 years on this planet, this is the dumbest thing I ever read.

• Old Gator - Jan 22, 2012 at 3:47 PM

Now that is the kind of crossover conundrum that really appeals to a graying eminence like yours truly. At what point does a baseball player exhaust sufficient half-life so that he is no longer fully a baseball player, but that retrograde breed of obsolescent hanger-on, minimally skilled and useful shadow of a former athlete in his prime, that evolutionary dead-end (might we say ambulatory late Ediocarian fossil), overspecialized-by-default occupier of an incidental ecological niche known as a DH?

This might even surpass the semiotic conundrum of speculation-versus-rumor we mentioned above. How about if I announce a Call for Papers (CFP) for a special session at the Texas-Southwestern Popular Culture Association conference in Albuquerque next February (too late for this year’s conference, unfortunately) to ponder the socioeconomic, political and cultural significance of the degeneration of the well-rounded ballplayer and the semiotic displacement of the ninth spot in the batting order?

• Old Gator - Jan 22, 2012 at 4:07 PM

phillieschumps: if that’s the dumbest thing you’ve ever heard, you have clearly not been listening to the Republican primary debates. Here’s to a complete waste of 41 years – not even a respectable half-life for an unstable isotope of getriddium.

• paperlions - Jan 22, 2012 at 5:06 PM

If that’s the dumbest thing he’s ever read, he obviously doesn’t read any of his own comments.

Yeah, I know, low hanging fruit.

I’m just shocked that ‘cepts is only 41, he rages on with willful ignorance like a far older person.

• cur68 - Jan 22, 2012 at 5:26 PM

Excellent question, Crisis. I wish to promulgate a theory as a partial answer. We can speculate that the discernable area where a Baseball Player deteriorates into a DH can be measured by Prince’s discernible distance to an all you can eat buffet. Provisionally, we can refer to this nascent theory as the “Fielder At Table (FAT)” distance. As FAT distance approaches zero we can say that the likelihood of ballplayer approaching DH rises by an order of magnitude to the greater. So a 1m FAT distance = 10X likelihood of Dh-ing.

• mrfloydpink - Jan 22, 2012 at 6:02 PM

Cepts: Just because the comment contains words in excess of one syllable, and thus beyond your comprehension, does not make it dumb.

Of course, it’s not like you’ll read this (or, more likely, have it read to you). It being past noon on Sunday, I think we can safely conclude you are passed out in a ditch somewhere by now..

• phillyphreak - Jan 22, 2012 at 7:09 PM

‘Cepts/’Champs can’t honestly be like this in “real life” right? Like this has to be one giant troll……

• cur68 - Jan 22, 2012 at 7:28 PM

“A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds…”
        -Emmerson

• bigleagues - Jan 24, 2012 at 12:00 AM

I disagree that it has long been established that Fielder is morbidly obese. In fact, I think its a rather absurd claim. Several studies have indicated that BMI is unreliable when evaluating pro-athletes.

For example, this Top 20 Fattest Baseball Players list: http://www.thedailybeast.com/galleries/2011/10/25/fattest-baseball-players-from-cc-sabathia-to-bartolo-colon-photos.slide21.html is comical in that BOBBY JENKS doesn’t even place in the top 20! Now if there is a dude approaching morbidly obese who is employed by a MLB club, it’s Bobby Jenks. Dude had a pulmonary embolism – this season . . . at age THIRTY. Forget about making that list, how is he not number one?!

So unless someone’s got Fielder’s hydrostatic weight and his true height and land weight, I’m far more inclined to believe that his actual lean body mass percentage is a lot higher than it would appear in uniform.

My major issue with the Fielder/Dodgers story (if there really is a story) is the fact that Fielder is still on the market on January 24th! When is the last time a young power hitting free agent 1B entering his prime in full stride went this late without being signed?

2. hcf95688 - Jan 22, 2012 at 1:13 PM

I’m no Dodgers fan, but I think LA would be a great landing spot for Prince. He would become an instant hit there. Aside from being an obvious upgrade over Loney, Fielder’s personality would make him a star that transends sport.

• 4d3fect - Jan 22, 2012 at 1:49 PM

If Fielder lands in DS the crater would be a good starting point for a brand new stadium.

3. randygnyc - Jan 22, 2012 at 1:43 PM

I’d hate for the dodgers to get stuck with fielders contract, but, I’d rather have him in the national league, on a team unlikely to compete in the near future. I expect that the last half of a long term contract that fielder may sign will be a disaster, he’s likely to have some impact for the next few years. For that reason, he should stay out of the American league.

• Old Gator - Jan 22, 2012 at 1:50 PM

And the Dodgers could certainly use a designated hitter. I mean, they’ve had an owner who’s useless for years.

4. lostsok - Jan 22, 2012 at 2:40 PM

As a Dodger fan, I would love his bat and his personality, but I worry his defensive decline–he’s at least serviceable now–would come swiftly. He needs to sign in the AL. It would be a thrilling but risky signing.

5. nflinla - Jan 22, 2012 at 2:40 PM

How can Fielder be a vegetarian and be that fat? Either way the Dodgers should sign him.

• Old Gator - Jan 22, 2012 at 3:06 PM

Obviously, he eats a lot of vegetables. Think of a cross between Refrigerator Perry and a recently discovered Argentine sauropod. Or, better – try eating nothing but immense quantities of corn, beans and potatoes for a few months and watch what happens to your underwear. It will actually shrink.

• crisisjunky - Jan 22, 2012 at 7:34 PM

For Prince, it’s corn,bean and potato CHIPS.

• shawndc04 - Jan 22, 2012 at 3:16 PM

He’s not a vegetarian anymore and has been seen in St. Louis stuffing himself with barbeque.

• crisisjunky - Jan 22, 2012 at 7:48 PM

Yes, unfortunately he had no choice as MLB has ruled gastroliths performance enhancing, so.. that would seem to make St.Louis a player… actually if not for Hosmer/Butler parlay, K.C. would be the gastronomic fit, Arthur Bryants @ ten minutes from The K.
        I can’t imagine a better Icon for K.C.Masterpiece.

• granted42 - Jan 22, 2012 at 3:46 PM

Deep fried carrots?

• henryd3rd - Jan 23, 2012 at 1:06 PM

Have you ever seen a skinny hippo in your life? No; and they are vegetarians. Occasionally I’m sure they eat some meat. It’s not what you eat; it how much you eat! Obviously Prince’s bedroom is right next to his kitchen.

Having said that the dude can hit; it’s just that his timing of being a free agent first baseman with an average glove is bad. Plus I’m sure his agent has been asking for the moon.

He might be better off taking a one year deal from Milwaukee and hope for a better situation next year.

6. phillieschamps2012 - Jan 22, 2012 at 3:25 PM

Good. LA can have him. I think this makes sense. Sign him now!

Rest in peace, Jo Pa. We love you!

• Old Gator - Jan 23, 2012 at 2:49 PM

You think they’re going to bury him with his collection of child pronography?

7. granted42 - Jan 22, 2012 at 3:47 PM

This would be just one more reason for Giants’ fans to hate the Prince of the Dance.

8. rcali - Jan 22, 2012 at 4:34 PM

No way this guy ends up with a long term contract in the NL.

9. thehollar - Jan 22, 2012 at 5:26 PM

If this happens, who would be willing to trade anything for Loney without the Dodgers eating salary? Sabean maybe, as part of the ongoing attempt to destroy Brandon Belt’s career? The Phillies could move him to left field, I guess.

10. alexo0 - Jan 22, 2012 at 6:56 PM

Once again Boras outsmarts us all. All he has to do is wait for the Dodger’s ownership situation to sort itself out and then he’ll be able to add them to the list of teams that he can negotiate with in order to drive up Prince’s price. Genius.

11. plowe70 - Jan 22, 2012 at 7:12 PM

Anything more than 5 years is to much. But I think those 5 years will be great.

12. smakhhm - Jan 22, 2012 at 8:02 PM

Old gator I believe you should take your doctorate type vocabulary and put it to good use elsewhere. Might I suggest the republican debates where they blow nearly as much hot air as you do.

• cur68 - Jan 22, 2012 at 8:25 PM

Keyboard tough-guy, everybody! *clap. clap. clap.*

• Old Gator - Jan 22, 2012 at 9:11 PM

smakhhm: aw, that’s just envy on your part.

13. jimbroney - Jan 23, 2012 at 9:22 AM

Hey gator, do you own a retro-encabulator? If unsure what it is, look it up on YouTube, if you don’t have one, you could definitely use one!

• Old Gator - Jan 23, 2012 at 12:43 PM

Me and the R/E are old pals. There were some hilarious discussions of its predecessor, the turboencabulator (T/E) on some of the old Journal of Irreproducible Results message boards a few years back.

Frankly, though, I haven’t even been able to get my Babbage Difference Engine to work properly. That’s what you get when you place advanced steam technology in the hands of a Luddite.

14. smakhhm - Jan 23, 2012 at 10:21 AM

Not at all just the plain truth. I don’t envy anyone but I do not care for someone who tries to talk down others with their large vocabulary.

• stex52 - Jan 23, 2012 at 4:33 PM

Then you are missing out on some fun. Keep it up, OG!!

• Old Gator - Jan 23, 2012 at 7:00 PM

And just who are these mysterious “others” that I’m trying to “talk down”? I didn’t notice any champagne words in my response to you. You’re just a jealous, spiteful little twit. Go haunt someone else’s house, and be sure to take your spleen with you.

15. jimbroney - Jan 23, 2012 at 10:51 PM

Gator….I want to party with you!!

• Old Gator - Jan 24, 2012 at 12:24 AM

Any time. I’ll bring the rattlesnakes. You bring the Navajo dancers. Let me see if my buddy Joe wants to pick a few more cactus buttons and score a sixpack of Dos Equis and some limes.

16. smakhhm - Jan 23, 2012 at 10:59 PM

Old gator your comments are laughable. Big words small mind. I find it funny how people bash others on boards. I do believe the jealousy stems from you, you are jealous your bank account does not contain more than 3 figures.

• Old Gator - Jan 24, 2012 at 12:19 AM

What a jerk you are. Yes, my comments are laughable – the board is full of friends who enjoy them, as you will note if you bother to pay attention to anything else that goes on here. On the other hand, yours are simply pathetic. You come on here unbidden to say obnoxious things about me without any provocation aside from your own sense of inferiority – which we must assume is the case, since without my even knowing you existed and certainly without my having previously addressed myself to you, you seemed to want to take my kidding around with the others personally anyway – insinuate yourself into the conversation with nothing positive to add to it, and then you wax sanctimonious about my bashing you. You started the bashing, clown – and hypocrite, I might add – utterly lacking in self-awareness to boot. And you default to what – making comments about my bank account? Here’s a little exercise in semantics for you: define puerile. Your third grade teacher is worried sick about your digging out under the playground fence. Better run back to school before they send the truant officer after you.

17. donttazemebro - Jan 24, 2012 at 12:02 AM

I’d love to see him in a Dodger uni.But who’s going to be the one who ultimately signs his paycheck?

18. smakhhm - Jan 24, 2012 at 11:02 PM

Obviously struck a cord with, oh how easily you are trolled. Listen moron when you make general statements you cannot expect the masses NZoT to answer you pretentious j@ck@ss.

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester
  1. W. Myers (5572)
  2. M. Kemp (3188)
  3. C. McGehee (2969)
  4. W. Middlebrooks (2965)
  5. J. Upton (2916)