Jan 23, 2012, 7:45 PM EDT
According to Shi Davidi of Sportsnet.ca, the Blue Jays and right-hander Brandon Morrow are nearing a three-year, $20 million contract extension.
The proposed deal includes a $10 million option for 2015 or a $1 million buyout. An official announcement could come as soon as tomorrow.
Morrow requested $4.2 million and was offered $3.9 million from the Blue Jays when arbitration figures were exchanged last week. The new deal would at least buy out his final two years of arbitration and his first year of free agency.
Morrow, 27, went 11-11 with a 4.72 ERA over a career-high 179 1/3 innings last season. He led American League starting pitchers by averaging 10.19 K/9.
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 34
- Josh Hamilton’s teammates say he’s in great shape and ready to play 18
- Mike Trout hit his 100th career home run to become the youngest member of the 100 HR/100 SB club 23
- Make that two: Alex Rodriguez hits second homer of the night, giving him 658 for his career 41
- Alex Rodriguez hit his 657th career home run 48
- Let’s all just stare at Kris Bryant’s numbers for a while 28
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 39
- The wait is over: The Cubs are calling up top prospect Kris Bryant on Friday 99
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract (153)
- “Why Ted Cruz is like the Atlanta Braves” (150)
- “We no longer need the terrorists. We’re now so good at terrorizing ourselves.” (143)
- Another argument in favor of making the DH universal (127)
- When it comes to Josh Hamilton, Arte Moreno is a craven opportunist, not a “smart businessman” (116)