Jan 23, 2012, 7:45 PM EDT
According to Shi Davidi of Sportsnet.ca, the Blue Jays and right-hander Brandon Morrow are nearing a three-year, $20 million contract extension.
The proposed deal includes a $10 million option for 2015 or a $1 million buyout. An official announcement could come as soon as tomorrow.
Morrow requested $4.2 million and was offered $3.9 million from the Blue Jays when arbitration figures were exchanged last week. The new deal would at least buy out his final two years of arbitration and his first year of free agency.
Morrow, 27, went 11-11 with a 4.72 ERA over a career-high 179 1/3 innings last season. He led American League starting pitchers by averaging 10.19 K/9.
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 0
- Jose Reyes is on track to be activated Friday 6
- Dustin Pedroia given cortisone injection for sore left wrist, aiming to return Wednesday 1
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists 213
- John Farrell to get fined for being critical of instant replay 52
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (213)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (129)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- We don’t need to celebrate Barry Bonds, but we should avoid whitewashing baseball history (122)
- Must-Click Link: Yasiel Puig’s harrowing journey to the United States (95)