Jan 23, 2012, 6:40 PM EST
UPDATE: According to Mike DiGiovanna of the Los Angeles Times, the Angels, Orioles, Phillies and Blue Jays are pursuing Cordero. Those are likely our four finalists.
6:40 PM ET: MLB.com’s Alden Gonzalez reports that free agent Francisco Cordero is down to four teams and expects to make a decision by the end of the week.
Gonzalez confirms that the Angels are one of the clubs and suspects that the Phillies and Orioles are also involved. The Rays haven’t entered the bidding and don’t figure to after spending $7.25 million on Carlos Pena.
If the Angels sign Cordero, he’d replace Jordan Walden as the team’s closer. Walden was handed a spot on the AL All-Star team as a rookie, but he ended up blowing 10 save chances on the season. The Orioles would also use Cordero as a closer, while the Phillies would want him as a setup man for Jonathan Papelbon.
Cordero, 36, had a 2.45 ERA and 37 saves in 43 chances for the Reds last season. Cincinnati had some interest in re-signing him, but that was before it upgraded to Ryan Madson.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 82
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 160
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (160)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (138)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (136)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)