Jan 23, 2012, 6:40 PM EDT
UPDATE: According to Mike DiGiovanna of the Los Angeles Times, the Angels, Orioles, Phillies and Blue Jays are pursuing Cordero. Those are likely our four finalists.
6:40 PM ET: MLB.com’s Alden Gonzalez reports that free agent Francisco Cordero is down to four teams and expects to make a decision by the end of the week.
Gonzalez confirms that the Angels are one of the clubs and suspects that the Phillies and Orioles are also involved. The Rays haven’t entered the bidding and don’t figure to after spending $7.25 million on Carlos Pena.
If the Angels sign Cordero, he’d replace Jordan Walden as the team’s closer. Walden was handed a spot on the AL All-Star team as a rookie, but he ended up blowing 10 save chances on the season. The Orioles would also use Cordero as a closer, while the Phillies would want him as a setup man for Jonathan Papelbon.
Cordero, 36, had a 2.45 ERA and 37 saves in 43 chances for the Reds last season. Cincinnati had some interest in re-signing him, but that was before it upgraded to Ryan Madson.
- Sandy Alderson is not going to “roll over” for Scott Boras and shut down Matt Harvey 64
- Dodgers are already fed up with 6.56 ERA-pitching, excuse-making Mat Latos 50
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 58
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 24
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 146
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 145
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (146)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (145)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (107)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (101)
- Why Mike Mussina keeps getting hosed in the Hall of Fame voting (90)