“No deal in place” between Nationals and Prince Fielder

Jan 23, 2012, 9:34 AM EDT

Prince Fielder

Late last night there was an unsubstantiated rumor going around Twitter that Prince Fielder had agreed to a deal with the Nationals, but both Tom Haudricourt of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel and Jim Bowden of ESPN.com have shot that down.

According to Bowden the two sides “continue to work on a deal” but there’s no agreement. And according to Haudricourt “there is no deal in place.”

Washington remains the most obvious destination for Fielder and certainly the clock is ticking on him choosing a long-term home, but it looks like last night’s rumors weren’t based in fact.

1. uyf1950 - Jan 23, 2012 at 9:47 AM

Boras was overheard to say “where’s that MYSTERY team when you really need it”.

2. sdelmonte - Jan 23, 2012 at 10:11 AM

Hey, where’s Craig? I have been far too productive the last two days!

• proudlycanadian - Jan 23, 2012 at 10:17 AM

On Vacation!

• Old Gator - Jan 23, 2012 at 10:45 AM

Craig’s vacations usually amount to a bender in the Bourbon-growing country to the southwest. Here’s hoping he took his accountability buddy with him.

3. lewp - Jan 23, 2012 at 10:16 AM

I still haven’t given up on the Rangers signing Prince.

• angrycorgi - Jan 23, 2012 at 12:40 PM

You should go ahead and give up…it ain’t happening. Tom Hicks doesn’t own the team anymore, so no more stupid deals are allowed.

4. rooney24 - Jan 23, 2012 at 10:38 AM

The Nats and Fielder seem like they would be a good fit. After that team has struggled so much, I would like to see them have at least a little success. I think Fielder/Boras had just assumed there would be a huge market, with multiple teams falling over themselves to throw more money at him. When that didn’t happen, I think it caught them off guard and they have been scrambling to get as much money as they can.

• dcfan4life - Jan 23, 2012 at 10:46 AM

This team won 80 games last year. Now granted they struggled offensively but the main reason Prince isnt already a National is his asking price is too high and the Nats know they dont need him. They let Adam Dunn walk and won more games without him. I hope the Dodgers or Rangers take Fielder cuz i dont think the Nats need him at all.

5. Old Gator - Jan 23, 2012 at 11:11 AM

I have a question, germane to the seminar topic a few of us raised during the last Fat Prince thread: where, exactly, does “an unsubstantiated rumor” position itself in the semantic hierarchy? Does it fall between “speculation” and “rumor”? Is it of a lower order than mere “speculation,” due to a higher level of cognitive dissonance (referred to in communications theory as “noise”)?

I am, however, ready to construct a basic semantic hierarchy from rumor in descending order of reality, and am open to feedback. Here it is:

1. rumor
    2. unsubstantiated rumor
    3. speculation
    4. wishful thinking
    5. total bullshit

Again, we can argue the merits of rankings 2-3. I will issue a formal Call for Papers for the session I am actually going to propose to the executive board of the Popular Culture Association (I will publish the text of my proposal here later this week) as soon as the board caves in to reality and accepts the proposal for the seminar session.

The indefatigable bloggers of Hardball Talk are poised to invade the hallowed dimensions of academia, people. Dear Buddha, this is an awesome moment….

• APBA Guy - Jan 23, 2012 at 12:00 PM

Please let us know when the call for papers is announced. I may be over this outrageous hangover by then. I had no idea that the locals had such pent up love for the 49’ers. I was looking forward to studying the effects of NorCal Football Love Triangle (thats it’s real name-you can look it up) if the 49’ers faced San Mateo native Tom Brady in the Stupor Bowl. But, alas, my chance at a world-wide reputation in psychological studies will have to wait until this Summer, when I’ll undertake a thesis on Baseball Induced Lethargy: Study of Fans Inside the Mausoleum. Your work on rumors will be critical to my use of language in the thesis, especially as pertains to my chapter on The New Stadium: Xanadu or Hallucination?.

• Old Gator - Jan 23, 2012 at 12:30 PM

Okay, as long as we’re on Xanadu and, of course, Kublai Khan, you need – repeat need – to read Italo Calvino’s Invisible Cities, a conversation between the Khan and Marco Polo following the latter’s survey of the Mongol domain. It will be critical to any effective use of the Xanadu metaphor (as will a thorough explanation of the term “Rosebud”). Amazon’s got cheap used copies. No excuses. I check the accuracy of bibliographies assiduously, by the way.

• natstowngreg - Jan 23, 2012 at 1:44 PM

The hallowed dimensions of academia don’t stand a chance.

• cur68 - Jan 23, 2012 at 1:48 PM

Unless they use Power Point. As other scholars have stated: “It’s my own fault for using PowerPoint” (Schrute, 2009).

• stex52 - Jan 23, 2012 at 1:47 PM

Surely in an election year we need to place “Polling Results” in your overall hierarchy. I would place that somewhere between 3 and 4. Room in the seminar for that?

• byjiminy - Jan 23, 2012 at 5:23 PM

I think unsubstantiated rumor clearly ranks higher than speculation, because it requires at least some modicum of an outside source, whereas speculation is allowed to be completely made up.

I’m not sure I see any objective distinction between numbers 3 through 5 though. They differ only in connotation. Speculation generally implies at least some allegiance to rational analysis; wishful thinking prioritizes desirability over probability; and bullshit is often mocking or contemptuous of reality. So if the hierarchy represents likely approximation of reality, if intention counts, then your ranking holds. As long as we’re clear that the hierarchy doesn’t describe which is “better.” Give me bullshit any day.

6. mmason0071 - Jan 23, 2012 at 12:29 PM

This Fielder business is really dragging on. Whoever is going to sign him better do it pretty soon or they won’t have time to make the super extra large uniform.

7. WhenMattStairsIsKing - Jan 23, 2012 at 12:43 PM

Zzzzzzz…..

Papelbon destined to be traded?
  1. G. Stanton (3504)