Jan 23, 2012, 8:47 PM EDT
UPDATE: ESPN’s Jerry Crasnick originally reported that Vizquel was getting a one-year deal, but it’s actually a minor-league deal with a spring training invite. He’s expected to battle Mike McCoy and Luis Valbuena for a utility infield job.
8:00 PM: While we haven’t heard much about Omar Vizquel this winter, we’re happy to pass along word that he’s coming back for at least one more season.
ESPN’s Jerry Crasnick reports that the veteran infielder has agreed to a one-year contract with the Blue Jays.
Vizquel, who turns 45 in April, batted .251/.287/.305 with seven doubles and eight RBI and a .592 OPS over 182 plate appearances with the White Sox in 2011. He made 20 starts at third base, 14 at second base and eight at shortstop last season, so he’ll likely function in a similar utility infield role with Toronto. Of course, he’s also a nice tutor to have around for their young infielders.
This will be Vizquel’s 24th big-league season. The 11-time Gold Glove Award winner has a .272 lifetime average to go along with 2,812 career hits and three All-Star appearances. 49-year-old Jamie Moyer and 45-year-old Tim Wakefield are the only older “active” players in the majors.
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 0
- Astros “making a strong effort” for Phillies ace Cole Hamels 22
- Angels acquire outfielders David Murphy and David DeJesus 22
- Jenrry Mejia gets 162-game ban for second failed PED test 42
- Nationals, Phillies agree to Jonathan Papelbon trade 63
- The Hall of Fame just made a MAJOR change to the Hall of Fame voting process 75
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s 92
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 49
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Colin Cowherd wonders how baseball can be considered “complicated” if Dominicans can understand it (129)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Settling the Scores: Wednesday’s results (106)