Jan 23, 2012, 8:53 PM EST
9:14 PM: According to Jerry Crasnick of ESPN.com, Ross will make a $3 million base salary with the chance to earn more in bonuses based on plate appearances.
8:53 PM: Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com reports that the Red Sox and Cody Ross have agreed to a contract. No word on the terms yet, but Michael Silverman of the Boston Herald hears that it’s a one-year deal.
3:41 PM: Boston cleared $6 million off the books by trading Marco Scutaro to Colorado, presumably to pursue Roy Oswalt, but Jerry Crasnick of ESPN.com reports that the Red Sox are also having “an ongoing dialogue” with free agent outfielder Cody Ross.
Ross isn’t an ideal everyday player because his production versus right-handers is underwhelming, but he knocks around left-handers and is a solid defensive corner outfielder. And right now the Red Sox have Ryan Sweeney and Darnell McDonald penciled in as their right field platoon–and Carl Crawford is a health question mark–so even a mediocre starter like Ross would be a worthwhile pickup at the right price.
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot 64
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 22
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 23
- Why is John Smoltz a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame? 63
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” 85
- Trea Turner’s agent is unhappy his client is in limbo after trade to Nationals 48
- Nexen Heroes accept Jung-Ho Kang posting fee from unidentified MLB team 37
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 16
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (145)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site (90)
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” (85)