Jan 23, 2012, 8:53 PM EDT
9:14 PM: According to Jerry Crasnick of ESPN.com, Ross will make a $3 million base salary with the chance to earn more in bonuses based on plate appearances.
8:53 PM: Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com reports that the Red Sox and Cody Ross have agreed to a contract. No word on the terms yet, but Michael Silverman of the Boston Herald hears that it’s a one-year deal.
3:41 PM: Boston cleared $6 million off the books by trading Marco Scutaro to Colorado, presumably to pursue Roy Oswalt, but Jerry Crasnick of ESPN.com reports that the Red Sox are also having “an ongoing dialogue” with free agent outfielder Cody Ross.
Ross isn’t an ideal everyday player because his production versus right-handers is underwhelming, but he knocks around left-handers and is a solid defensive corner outfielder. And right now the Red Sox have Ryan Sweeney and Darnell McDonald penciled in as their right field platoon–and Carl Crawford is a health question mark–so even a mediocre starter like Ross would be a worthwhile pickup at the right price.
- Ian Kinsler hopes Rangers go 0-162, calls GM a “sleazeball” (132)
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (103)
- The politics of “The Cardinal Way” (67)
- Robinson Cano wants the Mariners to bring in Kendrys Morales and Ervin Santana (64)
- Reporter calls Ian Kinsler as self-absorbed as A-Rod (60)