Jan 23, 2012, 8:53 PM EDT
9:14 PM: According to Jerry Crasnick of ESPN.com, Ross will make a $3 million base salary with the chance to earn more in bonuses based on plate appearances.
8:53 PM: Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com reports that the Red Sox and Cody Ross have agreed to a contract. No word on the terms yet, but Michael Silverman of the Boston Herald hears that it’s a one-year deal.
3:41 PM: Boston cleared $6 million off the books by trading Marco Scutaro to Colorado, presumably to pursue Roy Oswalt, but Jerry Crasnick of ESPN.com reports that the Red Sox are also having “an ongoing dialogue” with free agent outfielder Cody Ross.
Ross isn’t an ideal everyday player because his production versus right-handers is underwhelming, but he knocks around left-handers and is a solid defensive corner outfielder. And right now the Red Sox have Ryan Sweeney and Darnell McDonald penciled in as their right field platoon–and Carl Crawford is a health question mark–so even a mediocre starter like Ross would be a worthwhile pickup at the right price.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 38
- Cliff Lee placed on DL with recurrence of flexor pronator strain 27
- Winners and losers at the trade deadline 45
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 49
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 137
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 91
- The Lester trade is a win-win 113
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 165
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (201)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (165)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (137)
- Tampa Bay news station tweets classless Detroit joke following David Price trade (128)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (126)