Reds payroll likely to be down slightly from last season

Jan 23, 2012, 10:15 AM EDT

Walt Jocketty AP

After signing Ryan Ludwick last week the Reds more or less have their roster set, with John Fay of the Cincinnati Enquirer speculating that the one last move they might make is adding a veteran utility man like Ryan Theriot.

Fay crunched the numbers to find that Cincinnati’s current payroll will be around $76 million even if they lose both pending arbitration cases, which is slightly down from last season’s $80 million mark.

Their most expensive pickup of the offseason is Ryan Madson on a one-year, $8.5 million deal and no one else added this winter is on the books for more than $3.1 million (Sean Marshall).

Last year’s team went just 79-83 on that $80 million payroll, while the 2010 team won the division at 91-71 with a payroll around $72 million.

1. 78mu - Jan 23, 2012 at 11:10 AM

They could spend some on a Phillips extension.

• Old Gator - Jan 23, 2012 at 11:25 AM

We’re still a long way from opening day. This division is up for grabs and it’s hard to imagine they wouldn’t want to spend a little more money to make a solid run at it.

Incidentally, Cincinnati fans and residents, I fixed myself a modified Cincy-style huevos rancheros this morning – basically, the usual Mexican dish but made with a heaping dollop of Gold Star Chili, made with organic free range ground chicken, instead of the usual Tex-Mex stuff. Two sunnyside up organic free range eggs over a couple of slightly toasted whole-grain corn tortillas, topped with the Cincy chili, diced organic onions and shredded sharp cheddar soy cheese. I’m counting on the isoflavones in the soy cheese to ward off the evil effects of the sodium and nuclear fuel rod byproducts in the chili mix.

I was in the big C (is that what they call it up there?) a few weeks ago for the annual Over the Rhine holiday homecoming concert and met some local friends up at Camp Washington Chili for breakfast, which is where I originally got the idea. They were happy to serve me a bowl of the stuff to dump over my eggs. It’s taken me a few weeks to get around to it but man, in this somewhat sanitized form, this is gonna be a regular weekend brunch fixture (though I will find a scratch recipe I can modify to get the industrial pollutants out of the mix). Try it.

• Old Gator - Jan 23, 2012 at 11:26 AM

PS – let’s don’t anybody show this recipe to Prince Fielder, OK? We want to encourage Man Mountain to make healthier eating choices (urrrrrpppp – ‘scuse me).

• cur68 - Jan 23, 2012 at 1:53 PM

I got heart burn just reading that. Won’t stop me form giving it a go, mind you, but I’ll probably have to chase it with gellucil.

• Old Gator - Jan 23, 2012 at 2:44 PM

Cur: gotta admit that when it comes to Cincinnati chili mixes, I prefer Skyline to Gold Star. For some reason the Gold Star mix that is available online or at Gold Star parlors in Cincy just doesn’t taste like the Gold Star chili you can buy at their parlors for sit-down glutting. It’s hotter and has a slightly bitter backtaste to it that doesn’t thrill me. I have to add a bit of agave sweetener to nudge it back towards the palatability it exhibits during your basic Cincinnati lunch break. The Skyline mix, on the other hand, gives you pretty much what you get at their restaurants, assuming you follow the directions. I happened to have a couple of packets of Gold Star that I scored at the airport on my way home last month so….but here’s a link to some scratch recipes if you really wanna take the plunge: http://whatscookingamerica.net/Beef/CincinnatiChili.htm

I was feeling lazy yesterday so used the packet.

2. metalhead65 - Jan 23, 2012 at 12:25 PM

so they are happy overpaying ex-cards and other teams rejects but won’t use any of the savings on resigning the most important player besides Votto in Brandon Phillips? so which wahed ex-cardinal will walt sign to replace him with after this year?

3. firemarshal1 - Jan 23, 2012 at 1:23 PM

Walt:

Sign Ryan T., then work on an extension with B.Phillips and J.Votto. First, sign Brandon, extend him two more years, counting this year for a total of three years – 30 million. 9 m, 10 m, and 11 m in the final year. Brandon is great person/ballplayer for the city of Cincinnati. We are lucky to have a great group of guys like Joey, Brandon, Jay, Drew, and Scott.

• paperlions - Jan 23, 2012 at 3:32 PM

Why in the world would Phillips sign a 2 year extension? Any agent that would agree to that deal with a player of Phillips age/skills should be fired.

4. buffalomafia - Jan 23, 2012 at 1:41 PM

Why do teams like the Reds,Braves,Pirates & Giants stand pat in the off season when there teams are one or two players short of being great?

I dont want to hear cause of owners being cheap either!

• Reflex - Jan 23, 2012 at 2:28 PM

Um, except thats the reason. What other reason would you prefer?

• Jeremy Ashton - Jan 23, 2012 at 5:56 PM

Funny, I didn’t realize that signing one of the best closers on the free agent market and trading a former All-Star and a bunch of top prospects for a young No. 2 starter and a high-quality set-up man qualified as “standing pat.”

I’m also amazed to learn that the Pirates are only “one or two players short of being great.” I’d have figured after 19 straight losing seasons that they’d shoot for “halfway decent” first.

Angels' 2011 overhaul finally paying off?
  1. R. Castillo (3219)