Jan 23, 2012, 1:13 PM EST
There’s been plenty of speculation that the Red Sox dumped Marco Scutaro and his $6 million salary on the Rockies in order to clear the payroll space needed to make a strong run at Oswalt, so presumably he likes the notion of playing in Boston more than Detroit.
Oswalt remains good enough at age 34 that he could provide a big rotation upgrade to just about every team, but his health is a big question mark and the Tigers aren’t desperate for rotation help with Max Scherzer, Doug Fister, Rick Porcello, and perhaps top prospect Jacob Turner behind Cy Young winner Justin Verlander.
- Royals sign Edinson Volquez for two years, $20 million 20
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade 75
- Sergio Romo re-signs with the Giants for $15 million 13
- So, apparently we’re sweating the Matt Kemp physical now 45
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba 141
- Marlins complete Michael Morse deal: two years, $16 million 18
- Padres, Rays, Mariners discussing trade involving Wil Myers 36
- It is perfectly clear that A-Rod is the Yankees’ DH. At best. So there will be no drama, right? 37
- Baseball’s highest-ranking Hispanic woman employee sues for discrimination (163)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (142)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (110)
- Done Deal: Yoenis Cespedes and two players traded to Detroit for Rick Porcello and a minor leaguer (105)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)