Roy Oswalt turned down the “very interested” Tigers

Jan 23, 2012, 1:13 PM EDT

oswalt glove getty Getty Images

Danny Knobler of CBSSports.com–who was a longtime beat writer in Detroit–reports that the Tigers “were very interested” in Roy Oswalt, but “he didn’t want to go to Detroit.”

There’s been plenty of speculation that the Red Sox dumped Marco Scutaro and his $6 million salary on the Rockies in order to clear the payroll space needed to make a strong run at Oswalt, so presumably he likes the notion of playing in Boston more than Detroit.

Oswalt remains good enough at age 34 that he could provide a big rotation upgrade to just about every team, but his health is a big question mark and the Tigers aren’t desperate for rotation help with Max Scherzer, Doug Fister, Rick Porcello, and perhaps top prospect Jacob Turner behind Cy Young winner Justin Verlander.

1. b7p19 - Jan 23, 2012 at 1:18 PM

Is it just me, or could you put together a pretty good team out of the free agents still available? Isn’t almost February?

• bobwsc - Jan 23, 2012 at 2:05 PM

is there a short stop to be had?

-Ben & Larry

• paperlions - Jan 23, 2012 at 2:18 PM

Ryan Theriot :-)

• b7p19 - Jan 23, 2012 at 3:12 PM

Depends how highly you rate grittiness…

• baseballisboring - Jan 23, 2012 at 4:43 PM

Right? You could probably piece together like 85 wins from the guys that are still out there.

2. Francisco (FC) - Jan 23, 2012 at 1:22 PM

Is Roy familiar with the term: beggars can’t be choosers.

• stex52 - Jan 23, 2012 at 1:42 PM

I watched Roy for years in Houston and here is my take. Roy does not regard himself as a beggar. He would like to pitch, but he will only pitch for the right situation and money. If he can’t get the right deal, he will go home and ride his tractor on his property. He is already rich for life.

I think the fact that he hasn’t signed already for StL is indirect argument for what I say.

• 78mu - Jan 23, 2012 at 1:45 PM

The Cardinals should see if Westbrook would want to go back to Cleveland to replace the pitcher formerly known as Carmona. Then they could sign Oswalt and have a rotation better than last year’s.

• paperlions - Jan 23, 2012 at 2:19 PM

The problem is that no on is going to take Westbrook’s contract; the Cardinals would have to pay at least 1/2 of that to trade him for a bag of balls.

• studman4976 - Jan 24, 2012 at 7:04 AM

Stl is a rebuild team without LaRussa There, No Way that Oswalt Even Considers There…

• Ari Collins - Jan 24, 2012 at 10:08 AM

Yes, the main thing that STL lost last year is TLR. Mmhmm. They’re surely rebuilding now, yeah.

• bubba56 - Jan 23, 2012 at 3:34 PM

I guess Roy couldn’t stand the thought of being third- or fourth-fiddle in the Tiger’s rotation. Anyway, when you’re on injured reserve most of the time, why does it matter?

• Utley's Hair - Jan 23, 2012 at 4:48 PM

You have an interesting definition of “most,” bubba.

• samuellsamson - Jan 23, 2012 at 8:36 PM

1) “injured reserve” is in NFL/NHL; baseball has a “disabled list”

2) Oswalt has pitched the following number of innings over the last 7 years

2005: 241.2
        2006: 220.2
        2007: 212
        2008: 208.2
        2009: 181.1
        2010: 211.2
        2011: 139

Not seeing that “most of the time”. He lost thirty innings at the end of 2009 and 30-35% of last year to the back problem. Otherwise he’s pitched at least 200 innings, at a pretty high level of effectiveness.

• baseballisboring - Jan 23, 2012 at 4:44 PM

…but he has a choice. Between several teams, presumably…

• heorotian - Jan 23, 2012 at 9:48 PM

I think Roy has a very strong sense of what baseball means to him and what it doesn’t. That’s a great thing for whatever team he plays for, when he dedicates himself to it. But its also a hard thing to deal with when other priorities take over.

Granted, baseball players, as we all do, face important decisions related to family, health and career desire. However, given his recent track record (reports that he was considering retirement two years ago, and abandoning the Phillies for the tractor after melting down on the mound last year, then aggravating his back while on the tractor), I as a prospective suitor, would be more concerned about him holding up mentally and sticking with the team than I would physically.

Mind you, I love Oswalt. I remember him as a rookie, at which point I thought he would win multiple CY awards. But when someone considers retirement so early, and has wierdness later, then becomes a free agent seeking a new deal, I think all those things should be considered. Roy doesn’t want to pitch in Detroit, its his prerogative. But all the same, he’s a little pickier, or more particular than other FAs. And whoever signs him has no guarantee that he won’t decide to follow a different path halfway through his contract, or halfway through the year, for that matter.

3. rexadelphia8 - Jan 23, 2012 at 1:31 PM

Roy wants to win, not lose

• Francisco (FC) - Jan 23, 2012 at 1:36 PM

The Tigers did make it to the LCS, that’s farther than the Phillies did (ouch, I can’t believe I typed that).

• cur68 - Jan 23, 2012 at 2:14 PM

Just repeat it once an hour: that’ll ease the sting and help you get past it. Works for a broken heart, too.

• bubba56 - Jan 23, 2012 at 3:36 PM

If wants to WIN, he’d better find a National League team to take a chance on him! He’d be the fifth man in the Tigers’ rotation anyway.

• stex52 - Jan 23, 2012 at 4:21 PM

Clearly the Tigers management saw him as more than a fifth pitcher or they wouldn’t have pursued him at that price. But I wouldn’t take it too personally. He is very, very country in his outlook. If he could get a place in Atlanta (close to home) I think he would go quickly. Everywhere else for him is a weighing of plusses and minuses. For instance, it is very difficult for me to imagine him on the West Coast (anywhere) either. I thought he would be in StL by now, so I am not sure just what he is looking for.

• mchugh2824 - Jan 23, 2012 at 5:46 PM

He would rather have a couple million more then a pennant I guess.

4. firedude7160 - Jan 23, 2012 at 1:52 PM

I really have no comment on the article, I just wanted to point out that it is National Pie Day

• Francisco (FC) - Jan 23, 2012 at 1:59 PM

That’s what they’re calling the Chinese New Year now?

• phukyouk - Jan 23, 2012 at 2:02 PM

this is my national pie day

• Jonny 5 - Jan 23, 2012 at 3:08 PM

This part was the most touching for me

“As part of our American heritage, this day is a perfect opportunity to pass on the love and enjoyment of pie eating and pie making to future generations.”

Eff cake and anyone who feels Cake beats pie. Eff ‘em all!!

• cur68 - Jan 23, 2012 at 3:31 PM

Try having a bachelor party with pie. I admit, once you chop the stripper up small enough, you can get a crust over her, but, like all pie filling, it’ll be gooey and unappetizing to look at, much less eat. Cake rulez. Cake rulez all.

• spudchukar - Jan 23, 2012 at 4:15 PM

The image of a naked Megan Fox dripping with gooey cherry filling is something I can live with.

• Utley's Hair - Jan 23, 2012 at 4:46 PM

Okay…cake rules…Megan Fox drools… Oh, that’s me…at the thought of a naked Megan Fox….

• cur68 - Jan 24, 2012 at 1:44 AM

With cake all over her….

5. randygnyc - Jan 23, 2012 at 2:23 PM

Why is this news? Anyone, and I mean ANYONE, who can help it, and has at least one other option, would avoid living in Detroit. In fact, only Compton and Newark are the only 2 worst cesspools in America.

• Utley's Hair - Jan 23, 2012 at 4:25 PM

You know that there are some people who don’t view New York City as a treat, right?

6. matthewtrueblood - Jan 23, 2012 at 2:37 PM

Nice, Randy G. Any other areas with too many African-Americans for your taste? We’re all waiting with bated breath…

Detroit’s an underrated city.

• philly56 - Jan 23, 2012 at 3:34 PM

Detroit is the only city in America I have ever been to where paved roads running through functioning traffic lights is apparently considered unnessecary.

I remember a few years ago someone was going around the abandoned neighborhoods with a firehose, creating ice sculptures out of the boarded-up houses. Artwork that was praised by the city. When things are so bad that covering an abandoned house with ice is something noteworthy that’s worth applauding, it’s time to move.

Windsor is fairly nice, though, so Detroit does have that tunnel to be happy about.

7. randygnyc - Jan 23, 2012 at 3:54 PM

Mathew, I see what you did there. You tried to bring race into the discussion and then tried to attribute it to me. But instead, you showed your ass by conflating cesspool city to African Americans all by yourself.

• spudchukar - Jan 23, 2012 at 4:21 PM

Sure am glad I don’t live in your brain.

• baseballisboring - Jan 23, 2012 at 4:53 PM

I mean…Detroit is pretty dangerous right? Is this controversial?

8. randygnyc - Jan 23, 2012 at 5:00 PM

Detroit was rated the most dangerous city in the country. Newark is either 3 or 4.

• paperlions - Jan 23, 2012 at 5:55 PM

Actually, I think St. Louis is #1.

9. randygnyc - Jan 23, 2012 at 6:40 PM

Nope, Detroit, based on FBI stats. Wall street journal ran a story not long ago.

• paperlions - Jan 23, 2012 at 8:17 PM

Man, StL needs to get to work to take back the crown. FWIW, Flint, Michigan (and not Detroit) is “new” the most dangerous city via the FBI measure.

10. lorddarkhelmet - Jan 23, 2012 at 6:54 PM

although they play the games in Detroit none of the athletes live there, plenty of fantastic areas in the suburbs of the D. If he doesn’t want to play on a team that has as good a chance as any to make it to the series that’s his prerogative.

11. papacrick - Jan 24, 2012 at 12:50 AM

Most victims of violent crimes are criminals themselves. The stats used to measure dangerous cities are overrated. I’ve lived near Detroit my whole life and have been hanging out down there for years at all hours of the night and nothing bad has ever happened to me. I stop to get gas in Montgomery, Alabama one time in my life and I’m held up at gun point as I’m opening a bottle of water about to pull away from the pump. After being robbed of everything he tries to demand me to drive down this dirt road. I floored it and he fired two shots at me as I was driving away. One ricocheted off the pavement and hit my mirror. He jumped in the passenger seat of a waiting car then proceeded to chase me for about two miles until I pulled on to the expressway. It was terrifying. It didn’t hit me what had just happened. It was so fast that I did t have time to be scared while it was going on. I guess my point is that bad things can happen to you in any city if you’re in the wrong place at the wrong time.

• Utley's Hair - Jan 24, 2012 at 4:19 PM

You start off making a claim about victims of violent crime being criminals, and then you go on to relate a story of you being the victim of violent crime. Based on your asinine assertion, I guess chances are good that you are a criminal, right?

12. weaselpuppy - Jan 24, 2012 at 1:06 AM

I hpoe Oswalt signs with the Sawx and the Tigers crush him this year, little runt ass clown…

• Utley's Hair - Jan 24, 2012 at 4:23 PM

Sounds like you’ve been hanging out with purdueman. I guess you have firsthand knowledge of his “runt ass clown”ness?

It’s a decision by one man who has explained his feelings about playing baseball or not on his terms to not sign a hefty contract with a pro baseball team. I’m sure it was not a personal opinion of your worthiness to have him play there. So you might not want to take it as such, mm’kay?

Yanks, Cards and Reds hit with injury bug