Jan 23, 2012, 4:43 PM EDT
MLB announced that the 30 owners unanimously approved Bud Selig’s new two-year contract extension, which wouldn’t be particularly noteworthy except for reports last week saying the vote had 29 yays and one nay.
That one dissenting vote was Padres owner John Moores, according to the Associated Press:
Owners deferred a vote on the proposed transfer of the Padres from Moores to Jeff Moorad, saying they need clarification on some financial information. Moores, upset that the Padres’ sale was not approved, voted no on Selig’s extension because of this, AP’s source said.
Because Selig’s extension wasn’t on the agenda for the meeting, owners took a unanimous consent vote to allow its approval. Moores, upset that the Padres’ sale was not approved, voted no, a person in the room said, speaking on condition of anonymity because the details were supposed to remain confidential.
Owners took a second vote, giving notice of the extension, but a vote that will not be effective for 10 days. The extension was approved 29-1, with Moores again voting against it.
Apparently something changed between then and now, allowing Selig to say: “It is a great honor to have the unanimous support of the clubs.”
Funny how that works.
- Rangers activate Josh Hamilton from disabled list, send prospect Joey Gallo to Triple-A 1
- Huston Street says he’d retire if he was used like a 1970s-style fireman 39
- CC Sabathia looks like a reliever 23
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 55
- AL All-Star voting update: now “only” five Royals in the starting lineup 59
- Andy MacPhail introduced by the Phillies. And the first topic of conversation is sabermetrics 20
- What a world: Orioles are in first place and Ubaldo Jimenez has been their ace 16
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results 99
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (275)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (109)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights (79)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)