Jan 23, 2012, 4:43 PM EDT
MLB announced that the 30 owners unanimously approved Bud Selig’s new two-year contract extension, which wouldn’t be particularly noteworthy except for reports last week saying the vote had 29 yays and one nay.
That one dissenting vote was Padres owner John Moores, according to the Associated Press:
Owners deferred a vote on the proposed transfer of the Padres from Moores to Jeff Moorad, saying they need clarification on some financial information. Moores, upset that the Padres’ sale was not approved, voted no on Selig’s extension because of this, AP’s source said.
Because Selig’s extension wasn’t on the agenda for the meeting, owners took a unanimous consent vote to allow its approval. Moores, upset that the Padres’ sale was not approved, voted no, a person in the room said, speaking on condition of anonymity because the details were supposed to remain confidential.
Owners took a second vote, giving notice of the extension, but a vote that will not be effective for 10 days. The extension was approved 29-1, with Moores again voting against it.
Apparently something changed between then and now, allowing Selig to say: “It is a great honor to have the unanimous support of the clubs.”
Funny how that works.
- Giants designate Casey McGehee for assignment 23
- Yan Gomes returns to the Indians’ lineup after missing six weeks with a sprained right knee 0
- Marlins jump in Clevelander pool after snapping losing streak 22
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 19
- Brian Matusz was ejected for having a foreign substance on his arm 38
- Josh Hamilton will join the Rangers on Monday 6
- UPDATE: David Wright diagnosed with spinal stenosis 23
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 39
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)