Jan 23, 2012, 4:43 PM EST
MLB announced that the 30 owners unanimously approved Bud Selig’s new two-year contract extension, which wouldn’t be particularly noteworthy except for reports last week saying the vote had 29 yays and one nay.
That one dissenting vote was Padres owner John Moores, according to the Associated Press:
Owners deferred a vote on the proposed transfer of the Padres from Moores to Jeff Moorad, saying they need clarification on some financial information. Moores, upset that the Padres’ sale was not approved, voted no on Selig’s extension because of this, AP’s source said.
Because Selig’s extension wasn’t on the agenda for the meeting, owners took a unanimous consent vote to allow its approval. Moores, upset that the Padres’ sale was not approved, voted no, a person in the room said, speaking on condition of anonymity because the details were supposed to remain confidential.
Owners took a second vote, giving notice of the extension, but a vote that will not be effective for 10 days. The extension was approved 29-1, with Moores again voting against it.
Apparently something changed between then and now, allowing Selig to say: “It is a great honor to have the unanimous support of the clubs.”
Funny how that works.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 68
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 158
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 33
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (160)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (138)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (135)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)