Jan 23, 2012, 7:05 PM EDT
Ozzie Guillen threatened retaliation over the weekend for some recent comments by right-hander Jake Peavy which implied that he quit on the White Sox last September by stepping down as manager with two games remaining in the season.
Guillen hasn’t said anything on the matter since and it appears White Sox chairman Jerry Reinsdorf is doing his best to ensure that the drama ends now.
Courtesy of CSNChicago.com, Reinsdorf released a statement earlier this evening saying that Guillen left the White Sox with his blessing.
“Regarding Ozzie Guillen’s departure as White Sox manager last September, I want to make it clear that he left with our organization’s blessing and at my urging. Ozzie told me he wanted to finish out the year, the Marlins really wanted him in Miami for the conclusion of the season, and I told him that he had no choice but to go given the excitement surrounding the opening of their new stadium and the unveiling of their new uniforms. Ozzie needed to be in Miami at the end of the season for the Marlins.
“We will always be grateful for the 21 seasons Ozzie spent in a White Sox uniform as a player and coach, especially his role in helping us win the 2005 World Series championship. We wish him nothing but the best.”
That settles that. Sigh. I suppose Ozzie will have to “kill people’s feelings” some other time.
- Masahiro Tanaka diagnosed with partially-torn UCL in elbow 53
- Yadier Molina to miss 8-12 weeks with a torn thumb ligament 29
- Carlos Beltran placed on concussion disabled list after batting practice mishap 16
- Derek Jeter is the most popular MLB jersey this year 16
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 52
- The Rockies “aren’t looking around very hard” for a trade of star shortstop Troy Tulowitzki 29
- Jury finds the Dodgers partially negligent, awards $18 million to Bryan Stow 48
- Masahiro Tanaka injured: Yankees ace to undergo an MRI exam on his right arm 60
- Shocker: the Red Sox publicly criticize A.J. Pierzynski after cutting him (187)
- John Lackey on Nelson Cruz: “Not even going to comment … I’ve got nothing to say about him” (143)
- The 2014 All-Star rosters have been announced (103)
- Giants broadcaster says Angel Hernandez “does not belong in the big leagues” (101)
- David Ortiz is not pleased that his name got pulled into the John Lackey-Nelson Cruz thing (99)