Jan 23, 2012, 7:05 PM EST
Ozzie Guillen threatened retaliation over the weekend for some recent comments by right-hander Jake Peavy which implied that he quit on the White Sox last September by stepping down as manager with two games remaining in the season.
Guillen hasn’t said anything on the matter since and it appears White Sox chairman Jerry Reinsdorf is doing his best to ensure that the drama ends now.
Courtesy of CSNChicago.com, Reinsdorf released a statement earlier this evening saying that Guillen left the White Sox with his blessing.
“Regarding Ozzie Guillen’s departure as White Sox manager last September, I want to make it clear that he left with our organization’s blessing and at my urging. Ozzie told me he wanted to finish out the year, the Marlins really wanted him in Miami for the conclusion of the season, and I told him that he had no choice but to go given the excitement surrounding the opening of their new stadium and the unveiling of their new uniforms. Ozzie needed to be in Miami at the end of the season for the Marlins.
“We will always be grateful for the 21 seasons Ozzie spent in a White Sox uniform as a player and coach, especially his role in helping us win the 2005 World Series championship. We wish him nothing but the best.”
That settles that. Sigh. I suppose Ozzie will have to “kill people’s feelings” some other time.
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran 67
- Mike Napoli agrees to two-year, $32 million deal with Red Sox 25
- Curtis Granderson leaves Yankees for Mets (and $60 million) 66
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners 256
- MLB, NPB nearing new posting system agreement 9
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (257)
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (160)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- When will the Yankees regret the Jacoby Ellsbury contract? (101)
- Robinson Cano signing only bad if the Mariners stop now (93)