Jan 24, 2012, 10:47 AM EDT
Gerardo Concepcion, the 18-year-old pitcher who established residency in the Dominican Republic to become a free agent after defecting from Cuba, worked out for the Rangers yesterday.
Jesse Sanchez of MLB.com reports that team president Nolan Ryan was part of the Rangers group on hand to watch Concepcion in the Dominican Republic, adding that “the club is among the favorites to sign the Cuban left-hander.”
Concepcion’s agent, Jaime Torres, previously said that the Rangers, Yankees, Phillies, Cubs, and White Sox have shown the most interest, but Sanchez says the Royals, Marlins, Giants, Blue Jays, and Red Sox are also in the mix.
Torres indicated that Concepcion will likely choose a team within two weeks, which would be a speedy timetable considering he wasn’t officially declared a free agent until last Wednesday. Concepcion doesn’t light up radar guns like fellow Cuban defector Aroldis Chapman and isn’t considered an elite prospect, but the fact that he’s only 18 should lead to a sizable deal.
- How’d he do that? Magician Maddux fooled hitters all the way to Hall 7
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 46
- MLBPA files grievance against Astros in regard to draft pick situation 35
- The eyes have it: Thomas’ greatness built on patience 14
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams 193
- Mariners re-acquire Kendrys Morales from Twins for Stephen Pryor 22
- A’s designate $10 million reliever Jim Johnson for assignment 35
- Everything you need to know about next week’s trade deadline 35
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (193)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (162)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)