Jan 24, 2012, 10:47 AM EDT
Gerardo Concepcion, the 18-year-old pitcher who established residency in the Dominican Republic to become a free agent after defecting from Cuba, worked out for the Rangers yesterday.
Jesse Sanchez of MLB.com reports that team president Nolan Ryan was part of the Rangers group on hand to watch Concepcion in the Dominican Republic, adding that “the club is among the favorites to sign the Cuban left-hander.”
Concepcion’s agent, Jaime Torres, previously said that the Rangers, Yankees, Phillies, Cubs, and White Sox have shown the most interest, but Sanchez says the Royals, Marlins, Giants, Blue Jays, and Red Sox are also in the mix.
Torres indicated that Concepcion will likely choose a team within two weeks, which would be a speedy timetable considering he wasn’t officially declared a free agent until last Wednesday. Concepcion doesn’t light up radar guns like fellow Cuban defector Aroldis Chapman and isn’t considered an elite prospect, but the fact that he’s only 18 should lead to a sizable deal.
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 43
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 54
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 4
- A-Rod, the Yankees and the union in talks to direct his $6 million home run bonus to charity 29
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 51
- Video: Joey Butler breaks up Carlos Carrasco’s no-hitter with two outs in the ninth inning 12
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 17
- Jerry Dipoto loses power struggle with Mike Scioscia, steps down as Angels general manager 39
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (77)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)