Darvish wants to become “the best pitcher in the world”

Jan 24, 2012, 8:50 AM EDT

Texas Rangers Introduce Yu Darvish Getty Images

Reason I was out the past few days: trip to Texas. Reason for the trip to Texas: none of your beeswax, frankly, but know this: the entire time I was there I barely heard a single word about the Rangers. Maybe that’s because I was doing way too much of this. Hard to say.

All I know for sure is that the Rangers buzz is going to get pretty big down there pretty soon as everyone wakes up from football season and realizes just how great a race there’s going to be in the AL West this year. And a big part of that is going to be Yu Darvish.

There was a press conference in Tokyo this morning featuring Darvish. Oh, and 10,000 fans too, which tells you what kind of figure Darvish is over there. At the press conference, Darvish set his sights pretty high when explaining his move to the United States to pitch for the Texas Rangers:

“I want to become the kind of pitcher that will make people say ‘Darvish is the No. 1 pitcher in the world’ … I want to feel the thrill of pitching against the world’s best hitters. It was becoming harder to stay motivated in Japan.”

World’s best hitters, huh?  Did anyone tell him just how many games he’s going to have against the A’s, Mariners and Astros over the next several years?

Oh well, I won’t tell him if you won’t. Would hate to disappoint him.

1. stex52 - Jan 24, 2012 at 9:08 AM

He should set his sights really high and say he wants to marry Scarlett Johansson.

BTW, Craig, welcome back to HBT. Hope you enjoyed your trip to God’s country.

2. pisano - Jan 24, 2012 at 9:27 AM

He better hope he not as big of a bust as Dice-k, or they’ll run his ass out of Texas, those Texan’s like to win.

• rollinghighwayblues - Jan 24, 2012 at 9:31 AM

* those Texans like to bandwagon.

Nice ‘que pic, Craig. May I ask what joint it was taken at?

• Craig Calcaterra - Jan 24, 2012 at 9:35 AM

Not a joint. It was taken at my girlfriend’s uncle’s house. He built that setup himself. That was my dinner — and dinner for, like, ten other people — on Saturday.

And yes, I realize you are all going to make fun of me for having a girlfriend now.

• kopy - Jan 24, 2012 at 9:49 AM

Allow me to be the first:

OOOooooOOoOoOOooOOOOOoOOOOOoooooOOOOOOOHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!

• phukyouk - Jan 24, 2012 at 9:50 AM

Craig’s got a Girlfriend Craig’s got a Girlfriend Craig’s got a Girlfriend … you gonna kiss her? eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeew.. COODYS! (did i get everything here?)

• cktai - Jan 24, 2012 at 10:20 AM

Craig and Girlfriend sitting in a tree….

• Ben - Jan 24, 2012 at 10:29 AM

I didn’t even know bloggers were allowed to have girlfriends ..

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Jan 24, 2012 at 12:15 PM

Craig and Girlfriend sitting in a tree….

B L O G G I N G

• crisisjunky - Jan 24, 2012 at 1:11 PM

Craig, if the Rangers would show this picture to Prince, they could sign him for a lot less than market value, as long as it has an incentive claus for “Ribbies”.

• marshmallowsnake - Jan 24, 2012 at 10:23 AM

They must have been sorely disappointed the past two seasons then.

3. rollinghighwayblues - Jan 24, 2012 at 9:41 AM

Very impressive. I think I can catch a glimpse of some links on the very bottom of the pic. Damn, I’m hungry.

4. antlerclaws - Jan 24, 2012 at 9:51 AM

If one were set on becoming the Best Pitcher In The World, it sure couldn’t hurt to hang around Nolan Ryan and the Maddux brothers.

• crisisjunky - Jan 24, 2012 at 1:19 PM

” Yu Ballgame”…. in sixty years we can freeze his arm.

5. phukyouk - Jan 24, 2012 at 9:54 AM

BTW Darvish used the magic word of the off season.. AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

6. marzalmighty - Jan 24, 2012 at 11:03 AM

@Ben hahahaha . . . Craig, hope you enjoyed Texas bbq, its kind of our thing.

7. Old Gator - Jan 24, 2012 at 12:32 PM

Darvish’s mother wants the same thing for him. Just like mine did. Only she wanted me to be the best doctor. And she wished this for a kid who got sick at the sight of ketchup.

8. rebeljpl - Jan 24, 2012 at 1:09 PM

I was just curious if anyone else has noticed the Rangers hate this offseason? I’ve noticed alot of people on the comments section of Rangers related posts with lots of trash talking and hate. I don’t really know why people think bandwagon-ing is exclusive to Texas teams. Last I checked the Yankees have more fans outside of NY state than in NY, that sounds like bandwagon to me. If any team in DFW has alot of bandwagon fans, that would be the Cowboys. Most people around here forgot the Rangers even existed. Sure there are “new” fans as of recently but that’s not something that only happens here. Some of us have lived here a long time and have been patiently waiting for success for a while…

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. S. Kazmir (5446)