Jan 24, 2012, 9:21 AM EDT
Derrick Goold got a hold of the 2012 Topps Albert Pujols card. Which features him playing first base in a game situation. For the Angels. Which is awesome because he hasn’t, you know, done that yet. See it here.
It’s not like this is new or unprecedented. Back when I collected cards in the 70s and 80s there were all kinds of alterations to baseball cards. Except they didn’t have digital photography and editing software then. They literally airbrushed photos to put the guys in caps for teams to which they were just traded. The results were nothing short of fantastic.
Oh well. If Topps wants to do it all newfangled-like, it’s their prerogative. I would have loved to see a really crappy airbrush job, though, to take me back to my youth.
- Rays play Saturday’s game against the Blue Jays under protest 0
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 10
- Mike Minor loses his no-hit bid with two outs in the eighth 5
- Manny Machado to undergo season-ending knee surgery 33
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare 242
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million 96
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 31
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 12
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (242)
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million (96)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Even if he’s reinstated, does Pete Rose make the Hall of Fame? (86)