Jan 24, 2012, 9:21 AM EDT
Derrick Goold got a hold of the 2012 Topps Albert Pujols card. Which features him playing first base in a game situation. For the Angels. Which is awesome because he hasn’t, you know, done that yet. See it here.
It’s not like this is new or unprecedented. Back when I collected cards in the 70s and 80s there were all kinds of alterations to baseball cards. Except they didn’t have digital photography and editing software then. They literally airbrushed photos to put the guys in caps for teams to which they were just traded. The results were nothing short of fantastic.
Oh well. If Topps wants to do it all newfangled-like, it’s their prerogative. I would have loved to see a really crappy airbrush job, though, to take me back to my youth.
- We’re not going to pretend that Bo Porter had no idea what he was getting into, are we? 32
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 44
- The Cardinals have moved ahead of the Brewers for first place in the National League Central 27
- No-hitter! Four Phillies pitchers combine to blank the Braves 59
- Bo Porter fired by the Astros 56
- Settling the Score: Sunday’s results — and a reminder of what Labor Day is all about 47
- Reds trade setup man Jonathan Broxton to the Brewers 19
- Miguel Cabrera sits Sunday with nagging ankle injury 13
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (220)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)
- Baseball is dying, you guys, because no one would recognize Mike Trout in a bar (74)