Jan 24, 2012, 9:21 AM EST
Derrick Goold got a hold of the 2012 Topps Albert Pujols card. Which features him playing first base in a game situation. For the Angels. Which is awesome because he hasn’t, you know, done that yet. See it here.
It’s not like this is new or unprecedented. Back when I collected cards in the 70s and 80s there were all kinds of alterations to baseball cards. Except they didn’t have digital photography and editing software then. They literally airbrushed photos to put the guys in caps for teams to which they were just traded. The results were nothing short of fantastic.
Oh well. If Topps wants to do it all newfangled-like, it’s their prerogative. I would have loved to see a really crappy airbrush job, though, to take me back to my youth.
- Merry Christmas from HBT! 30
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 83
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 36
- Braves sign setup man Jason Grilli to two-year contract 13
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot 119
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 27
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 23
- Why is John Smoltz a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame? 63
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (145)
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot (119)
- Today’s specious anti-Mike Piazza-for-the-Hall-Fame argument (94)
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site (90)
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” (85)