Great Moments in Photoshop: Albert Pujols playing first base for the Angels … now!

Jan 24, 2012, 9:21 AM EDT

Shark

Derrick Goold got a hold of the 2012 Topps Albert Pujols card.  Which features him playing first base in a game situation.  For the Angels.  Which is awesome because he hasn’t, you know, done that yet. See it here.

It’s not like this is new or unprecedented. Back when I collected cards in the 70s and 80s there were all kinds of alterations to baseball cards. Except they didn’t have digital photography and editing software then. They literally airbrushed photos to put the guys in caps for teams to which they were just traded. The results were nothing short of fantastic.

Oh well. If Topps wants to do it all newfangled-like, it’s their prerogative. I would have loved to see a really crappy airbrush job, though, to take me back to my youth.

1. rollinghighwayblues - Jan 24, 2012 at 9:37 AM

Airbrushed? That Oscar Gamble picture looks like someone used Bob Ross’ wet on wet technique .

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Jan 24, 2012 at 9:44 AM

To me he looks like CC after a week long bender

• pauleee - Jan 24, 2012 at 11:44 AM

I had no idea Oscar Gamble is Shaq’s daddy!

2. thefalcon123 - Jan 24, 2012 at 9:45 AM

I miss the Yankees old-timey cartoon caps…

3. bloodysock - Jan 24, 2012 at 9:45 AM

Better than the airbrushed photos but the guy getting back to the bag in the background looks massive compared to Pujols.

• southcapitolstreet - Jan 24, 2012 at 11:30 AM

I think the photoshopper is just challenging our conventional, bourgeois notions of perspective and scale. Usually, the person in the background would be smaller than the person in the foreground. This is very avant garde.

4. sdelmonte - Jan 24, 2012 at 9:48 AM

Photoshop? No, this was taken using brand new tachyon imaging. It’s an actual photo taken six months from now.

5. lessick - Jan 24, 2012 at 10:12 AM

This was my all-time favorite: Topps photoshopped Cliff Lee into a Mariners Jersey but they left in the black HK memorial patch that he wore for the Phillies as a tribute to Harry Kalas!

• bloodysock - Jan 24, 2012 at 10:22 AM

That picture is wrong on so many levels including the ad in the background for Spongetech, the major sports advertiser that had the SEC filing civil fraud charges against the company and its top execs for conspiracy to commit securities fraud and obstruction of justice.

6. b7p19 - Jan 24, 2012 at 10:42 AM

Is that shark going to eat that hellicopter man?!

7. umrguy42 - Jan 24, 2012 at 11:03 AM

Didn’t we see this story last year or so in regards to Berkman coming to the Cardinals?

8. crisisjunky - Jan 24, 2012 at 12:34 PM

make that 11 offers for the Codgers now, as apparently, the military is now offering Frank a Seal.
    (all seals look alike to him.)

9. foreverchipper10 - Jan 24, 2012 at 5:58 PM

This makes me want to go buy a pack of cards. I miss those things a little bit.

Can Angels recoup loss of Richards?
  1. R. Castillo (5317)