Jan 24, 2012, 12:30 PM EDT
The Jorge Posada retirement press conference just went down at Yankee Stadium. It was a packed house. Even more so than Andy Pettitte’s last year. In attendance were Derek Jeter, Mariano Rivera, CC Sabathia and about a zillion others.
It was also pretty emotional, as Diana Munson, the widow of Thurman Munson, was on hand. She said that Posada brought her back to baseball again following the death of her husband and that she admired and loved the way he played the game. Which is, just, wow. Video of her comments can be seen here.
As for Jorge himself, he said “”I could never wear another uniform … I will forever be a Yankee.” In this he is a True Yankee. Just like others who never wore another uniform. You know, like Babe Ruth and Yogi Berra.
Kidding! Posada was an astounding player. One who, as Aaron noted, was massively underrated in his career. Guys like him are what made it hard to hate the Yankees even as their dominance taunted you into wanting to hate them. So good. So competitive. Seemed so decent.
Enjoy your retirement, Jorge.
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 51
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 16
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 114
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 54
- Pete Rose will be allowed to participate in All-Star Game festivities 69
- Career over? Joe Nathan needs Tommy John surgery 31
- Contact and controversy in the ninth inning of last night’s Dodgers-Giants game 54
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (115)