Jan 24, 2012, 12:30 PM EST
The Jorge Posada retirement press conference just went down at Yankee Stadium. It was a packed house. Even more so than Andy Pettitte’s last year. In attendance were Derek Jeter, Mariano Rivera, CC Sabathia and about a zillion others.
It was also pretty emotional, as Diana Munson, the widow of Thurman Munson, was on hand. She said that Posada brought her back to baseball again following the death of her husband and that she admired and loved the way he played the game. Which is, just, wow. Video of her comments can be seen here.
As for Jorge himself, he said “”I could never wear another uniform … I will forever be a Yankee.” In this he is a True Yankee. Just like others who never wore another uniform. You know, like Babe Ruth and Yogi Berra.
Kidding! Posada was an astounding player. One who, as Aaron noted, was massively underrated in his career. Guys like him are what made it hard to hate the Yankees even as their dominance taunted you into wanting to hate them. So good. So competitive. Seemed so decent.
Enjoy your retirement, Jorge.
- MLB.com names Byron Buxton as baseball’s top prospect for second straight year 13
- Yasiel Puig says the Cardinals are the Dodgers’ “principal rivals,” not the Giants 81
- Jayson Werth to serve five days in jail for reckless driving 47
- Keith Law’s top 100 prospects list is out 39
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 173
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 11
- Ichiro Suzuki’s deal with the Marlins is worth $2 million 35
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 37
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (173)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (96)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (83)
- Yasiel Puig says the Cardinals are the Dodgers’ “principal rivals,” not the Giants (82)