Jan 24, 2012, 12:30 PM EDT
The Jorge Posada retirement press conference just went down at Yankee Stadium. It was a packed house. Even more so than Andy Pettitte’s last year. In attendance were Derek Jeter, Mariano Rivera, CC Sabathia and about a zillion others.
It was also pretty emotional, as Diana Munson, the widow of Thurman Munson, was on hand. She said that Posada brought her back to baseball again following the death of her husband and that she admired and loved the way he played the game. Which is, just, wow. Video of her comments can be seen here.
As for Jorge himself, he said “”I could never wear another uniform … I will forever be a Yankee.” In this he is a True Yankee. Just like others who never wore another uniform. You know, like Babe Ruth and Yogi Berra.
Kidding! Posada was an astounding player. One who, as Aaron noted, was massively underrated in his career. Guys like him are what made it hard to hate the Yankees even as their dominance taunted you into wanting to hate them. So good. So competitive. Seemed so decent.
Enjoy your retirement, Jorge.
- Orioles acquire Kelly Johnson from the Red Sox 5
- Orioles acquire Alejandro De Aza from the White Sox 5
- Bryce Harper is 15th player in MLB history to reach 50 career homers before age-22 season 30
- The Dodgers took the shift to the extreme last night 47
- VIDEO: Jorge Soler hits two long home runs in third major league game 20
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 18
- Mariners end Jesus Montero’s season 37
- Troy Tulowitzki says he’ll retire before he switches positions 32
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (220)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (146)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)