Longtime Phillies broadcaster Andy Musser dies

Jan 24, 2012, 9:50 AM EDT

Musser

Longtime Phillies broadcaster Andy Musser died on Sunday. He was 74.

While non-Phillies fans always think — and almost exclusively think — of Harry Kalas or Richie Ashburn when they think of Phillies broadcasters, Musser was no less of a fixture in the booth, helping call all but two games during his 26-year tenure.

Ray Didinger has a remembrance of Musser over at CSNPhilly.com.

1. pkswally024 - Jan 24, 2012 at 10:23 AM

That was dad to see yesterday. Spent a lot of my childhood listening to those three guys. Now if they’d replace t-Mac and skwheeler with franski and Anderson we’d be set for a few more generations.

2. Jonny 5 - Jan 24, 2012 at 10:45 AM

RIP Andy. All of my childhood memories are dying off. :(

• sasquash20 - Jan 24, 2012 at 2:20 PM

no doubt bro

• The Rabbit - Jan 24, 2012 at 2:29 PM

I’m so old, my childhood memories include By Saam.
      When Andy first joined the broadcasting team, he was out of his league with Richie and Harry. He improved greatly with age and experience.
      RIP Andy.

• Utley's Hair - Jan 24, 2012 at 3:51 PM

My childhood Phightins games will always be Harry, Whitey and Andy. RIP guys. Maybe they’ll call another Phils title march for the baseball gods this year.

3. babych99 - Jan 24, 2012 at 11:48 AM

Hate seeing the legends slowly dying off, lots of memories of Kalas, Ashburn and Musser calling games. May all 3 RIP.

4. mattjg - Jan 24, 2012 at 12:58 PM

For me, the sound of Phillies baseball will always be Harry, Whitey, Andy and Wheels. It’s a shame that Musser was so often overshadowed by the first two. While he wasn’t hall-of-fame-calibre, it was comfortable listening to him broadcast a game.

And hey, look, I got through an entire comment on Phillies broadcasters without criticizing Wheels or the poor lifeless animal atop his head.

5. mattjg - Jan 24, 2012 at 1:03 PM

To continue thoughts from my last comment, do we always romanticize the broadcasters we listened to as children, or was I just particularly blessed to grow up in Philadelphia in the late 80′s and the 90′s?

The Phillies had Harry, Whitey, Andy, and Wheels.
    The Flyers had Gene Hart and Gary Dornhoefer (and later Jim Jackson and Steve Coates).
    The Eagles had Merrill Reece and Stan Walters.

Most of these guys are legendary broadcasters in my eyes. Am I biased because of my childhood, or did the sports gods really give Philly great announcers back then to make up for the teams these guys had to broadcast?

Colby-on-Colby crime in Toronto