MLB announces Tony La Russa will manage All-Star game

Jan 24, 2012, 3:30 PM EST

2011 World Series Game 4 -Texas Rangers v St Louis Cardinals Getty Images

Tony La Russa stepped down as Cardinals manager on October 31, calling it quits after 33 seasons, 2,728 wins, and three championships, but being retired won’t keep him from managing this year’s All-Star game.

Pennant-winning managers get the honor of managing the next season’s All-Star game and MLB announced that La Russa will manage the National League team in July.

And there should be plenty of Cardinals fans in attendance, as the game will be played at Kauffmann Stadium in Kansas City. And presumably they’ll make sure the bullpen phone is working.

In previous years when the pennant-winning skipper is unavailable to manage the All-Star game for whatever reason the league’s runner-up manager gets the nod, which would have been Ron Roenicke of the Brewers. However, there’s precedent for the La Russa situation, as Pirates manager Danny Murtaugh retired following a World Series win in 1971 and came back to manage the All-Star game in 1972.

1. bungeeky - Jan 24, 2012 at 3:40 PM

So while I think Larussa should manage, what jersey does he wear? He wears the Cardinals because they’re the he managed to postseason victory? Please don’t tell me he wears no jersey or a generic MLB sweatshirt or something.

• cur68 - Jan 24, 2012 at 3:47 PM

I vote loud Hawaiian shirt, shorts, & sandals with socks. That’s the retired guy’s official uniform, according to my dad.

• paperlions - Jan 24, 2012 at 3:50 PM

Black socks, right?

• cur68 - Jan 24, 2012 at 4:03 PM

Yep. With white toe and heel patches. Optional extras: goofy, old-guy fedora & glaucoma shades for sunny days.

• hotkarlsandwich - Jan 24, 2012 at 4:06 PM

That is the uniform for the Pro Bowl coaches

• WhenMattStairsIsKing - Jan 24, 2012 at 3:47 PM

Yes, he wears a Cardinals jersey, as he was a part of the winning team that got him in this position of 1-day managing.

• thefalcon123 - Jan 24, 2012 at 4:13 PM

” what jersey does he wear?”

A David Freese jersey, I would presume.

• jakelohr - Jan 24, 2012 at 6:40 PM

Since none of the players wear their team jerseys in the All Star Game, I’m guessing that LaRussa wears a National League (with a Cardinals cap).

• davemac32001 - Jan 25, 2012 at 10:36 AM

Players wear their team uniforms during the game – they only wear the league stuff during other events like the home run derby…

2. okwhitefalcon - Jan 24, 2012 at 3:46 PM

A cool gesture by MLB, makes sense.

• paperlions - Jan 24, 2012 at 3:55 PM

Agreed. Good chance for fans to give him an ovation, since they didn’t have a chance to do so before.

• stlouis1baseball - Jan 24, 2012 at 5:43 PM

Paper: Are getting soft?

3. dwrek5 - Jan 24, 2012 at 4:00 PM

I think the headline is supposed to read, MLB announces Tony La Russa will OVERmanage All-Star game. Hey oh!!!!! Sorry TLR, had to get one more crack in.

• paperlions - Jan 24, 2012 at 4:26 PM

Actually, his normal managing style will work perfect for the AS game.

4. 78mu - Jan 24, 2012 at 4:06 PM

TLR told Selig he would only do it if the rosters are expanded to include another 20 pitchers and that a pitcher could be replaced without having to pitch to one batter. He wants to have an inning where 9 pitchers strike out the side, each throwing 1 strike. Instead of having a LOOGY get 1 out he wants to have them get one strike.

He will then be lifted off to the heavens having accomplished his life’s work.

5. hotkarlsandwich - Jan 24, 2012 at 4:07 PM

Do you think he will pitch to Albert?

• WhenMattStairsIsKing - Jan 24, 2012 at 4:23 PM

He’ll pitch *AT* Albert ;)

6. crookedstick - Jan 24, 2012 at 4:21 PM

Knowing LaRussa’s past record, he’ll order Pujols drilled.

• fearlessleader - Jan 24, 2012 at 4:29 PM

Not proud of it, but not gonna lie: That would make my decade.

• stlouis1baseball - Jan 24, 2012 at 5:43 PM

I am not proud of it either Fearless…but I am still right there with you.

• umrguy42 - Jan 24, 2012 at 7:03 PM

…And me.

7. infante8523 - Jan 24, 2012 at 4:27 PM

I think this is BS actually. This game decides which league gets home field advantage in the World Series. Now you have a coach with nothing invested in it managing one side. Not saying I am doubting the integrity of TLR but it’s interesting MLB would let this happen when they are constantly sending the message that this game matters.

• thefalcon123 - Jan 24, 2012 at 4:43 PM

I don’t think he had much invested in the 2007 All-Star Game either since the Cardinals were 40-45 at the break.

The same could be said about Clint Hurdle in 2008 (38-57).

• Nick C - Jan 24, 2012 at 5:12 PM

As a Cardinals fan having seen TLR up close for so many years I am sure that TLR has never approached a game of checkers without the intention of winning. I am quite sure TLR will be even more prepared for this game than any in his career because he won’t have to worry about managing a team while preparing.

• 78mu - Jan 24, 2012 at 5:20 PM

Agree. Tony in a dugout is intensity personified. I just wonder if it will make him hungry to get back into managing.

• stlouis1baseball - Jan 24, 2012 at 5:42 PM

Infante: You are joking…right?

8. tn16 - Jan 24, 2012 at 5:37 PM

Tony will trade for pujhols

• WhenMattStairsIsKing - Jan 24, 2012 at 5:59 PM

Managers can’t trade for players. Managers of exhibition games included.

9. marinersnate - Jan 25, 2012 at 12:40 AM

I am sure TLR’s biggest regret is that he can not bat his NL pitcher 8th in the ASG. What a “GREAT” strategy! What a genius! Also, is there any truth to the rumor that if the NL needs to hit and run, Albert will make that call from the AL dugout??

• stlouis1baseball - Jan 25, 2012 at 3:08 PM

Mariner: That would depend on if he had someone of Albert’s stature batting in the 3 hole. Doing so would make him the clean up hitter once they are through the entire line up.
      Sorry…I couldn’t resist.

10. Walk - Jan 25, 2012 at 3:28 AM

I never like Tlr all that well, but you better believe i am going to enjoy watching him get the accolades he deserves as he manages the all star game. He was already, in my opinion, a hall of fame manager prior to coing to st louis and when this is all said and done he will get to ride off into the sunset twice. The world series being the first and the all star game for a final appearance for the second. Kudos to a bumpy but memorable career. Another great carrer coming to an end, even if you did not like that person, is always sad.

11. foreverchipper10 - Jan 25, 2012 at 12:42 PM

Good. He should coach the game. I am glad we will get to see him one more time in the dugout.

12. dgrindsports - Jan 25, 2012 at 2:35 PM

I find it odd that LaRussa is back in the dugout for just one game … a important one at that. I think when you retire, you give up these options too.

for sports, google Daily Grind Sports

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester
  1. W. Myers (5792)
  2. M. Kemp (3243)
  3. J. Kang (3182)
  4. C. McGehee (3075)
  5. W. Middlebrooks (3049)
  1. J. Upton (2980)