Jan 24, 2012, 10:30 AM EDT
The Oscar nominations came out this morning. I’ve seen three of the Best Picture nominees. That is easily the most I’ve seen by nomination time in years. Maybe a decade. Having kids sort of kills your moviegoing mojo.
There’s a decent chance I would have posted about this anyway because, hey, it’s the offseason and why not, but I have a bona fide baseball reason to post about it too: “Moneyball” was nominated for Best Picture. As was Brad Pitt for Best Actor and Jonah Hill for Best Supporting Actor. It also got nods for Best Editing, Sound Mixing and Adapted Screenplay.
- I liked “Moneyball” enough, though I have to say that not once while I was watching it did I think that it was Best Picture material. If they had nominations for “Neat Picture,” maybe, but whatever.
- Brad Pitt’s performance had a lot of Oscar-bait to it, so that’s not a big surprise.
- Jonah Hill was good too, but I’m not sure that “stare blankly, act befuddled and provide exposition” is the stuff of acting awards. He has good comic timing as a straight man. And now that he has lost a freaking lot of weight, he will likely never be offered the kinds of roles that got him his Oscar nomination, so there’s that.
- I liked “Midnight in Paris” an awful lot. I thought “Tree of Life” was the most boring, pointless and self-absorbed beautiful movie of all time. No reason for that, but I wanted to mention it somewhere; and finally
- I didn’t see “The Help,” but I am happy to see the Academy’s habit of nominating movies about pretty white women discovering that racism exists and sorta kinda thinking about doing something about it is still going strong.
Enjoy the comments. It’s not often I give you a forum to b.s. about movies all day, so make the most of it.
- Buster Olney: The Marlins should hire A-Rod to be their next manager 26
- Breaking down the Braves-Dodgers trade 12
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 27
- So that Juan Uribe trade to the Braves is back on … 11
- Ruben Amaro apologizes for comments about fans, admits he may have been late on rebuild 23
- Jonathan Lucroy expected to rejoin the Brewers on Monday 0
- More drama in Miami: Marlins demote third base coach Brett Butler after “confusion” over signs 35
- Ruben Amaro dismisses fans who “bitch and complain” about the Phillies’ moves 70
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)