Jan 24, 2012, 3:07 PM EDT
It’s being reported by multiple sources that Prince Fielder is “very close” to a nine-year, $214 million deal with the Detroit Tigers. Tim Brown of Yahoo! had it first. UPDATE: The Associated Press reports that it’s a done deal.
This is really off-the-wall. Partially because (a) the Tigers just last week said they weren’t going to go down that road; (b) the Tigers already have an all-world first baseman in Miguel Cabrera and, after this year anyway, a really good DH in Victor Martinez to whom they owe a lot of money through 2014; (c) Prince Fielder doesn’t get along with his dad, and if he goes to Detroit he’s going to get Cecil Fielder questions all the time.
Miguel Cabrera isn’t going to DH. Prince Fielder said he doesn’t want to. I also assume that we are well past the days when Cabrera can play third base. How does this work?
UPDATE: Jon Heyman is reporting that Fielder would be the starting first baseman. That means Cabrera is likely the DH. No clue what happens when V-Mart is back in 2013.
I suppose that’s Jim Leyland’s problem. And, at least offensively speaking, it’s not a bad problem to have. Pairing Fielder up with Cabrera in the middle of that lineup is a huge improvement to what Detroit had going in the wake of Victor Martinez’s ACL injury. And adding one of the best hitters in baseball to a team that won its division by 15 games last season almost assures them of doing do again.
- Anibal Sanchez loses his bid for a no-hitter with one out in the eighth inning 11
- The Yankees, A-Rod resolve their dispute over the $6 million milestone bonus 28
- Yankees donate $150,000 to charity to get Alex Rodriguez his 3,000th hit ball 18
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno 86
- Settling the Scores: Thursday’s results 56
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 61
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 54
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 4
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (86)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)