Jan 24, 2012, 12:46 PM EST
Last week general manager Jon Daniels admitted that Texas was “very unlikely” to sign Prince Fielder and now Bob Nightengale of USA Today reports that the Rangers “believe they are out of the bidding” for the slugging first baseman.
Fielder met with Rangers officials in Dallas earlier this month, but it’s unclear if talks even reached the offer stage and since then Texas spent $112 million on Yu Darvish.
If the Rangers are indeed out of the mix that seemingly makes the Nationals overwhelming favorites to sign Fielder, although based on various reports that’s probably been the case all along.
It’s possible a team like the Orioles could swoop in with a huge offer, but the Marlins, Mariners, Tigers, and now Rangers are said not to be involved and the usual huge-spending teams don’t really have a big need for Fielder even if they badly wanted him. And it doesn’t hurt that the Nationals’ roster is already packed with prominent Scott Boras clients.
UPDATE: So much for the Nationals. Fielders is reportedly headed to the Tigers.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 86
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 163
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (163)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (140)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (138)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)