Jan 24, 2012, 12:46 PM EDT
Last week general manager Jon Daniels admitted that Texas was “very unlikely” to sign Prince Fielder and now Bob Nightengale of USA Today reports that the Rangers “believe they are out of the bidding” for the slugging first baseman.
Fielder met with Rangers officials in Dallas earlier this month, but it’s unclear if talks even reached the offer stage and since then Texas spent $112 million on Yu Darvish.
If the Rangers are indeed out of the mix that seemingly makes the Nationals overwhelming favorites to sign Fielder, although based on various reports that’s probably been the case all along.
It’s possible a team like the Orioles could swoop in with a huge offer, but the Marlins, Mariners, Tigers, and now Rangers are said not to be involved and the usual huge-spending teams don’t really have a big need for Fielder even if they badly wanted him. And it doesn’t hurt that the Nationals’ roster is already packed with prominent Scott Boras clients.
UPDATE: So much for the Nationals. Fielders is reportedly headed to the Tigers.
- Sandy Alderson is not going to “roll over” for Scott Boras and shut down Matt Harvey 64
- Dodgers are already fed up with 6.56 ERA-pitching, excuse-making Mat Latos 50
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 58
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 24
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 146
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 145
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (146)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (145)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (107)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (101)
- Why Mike Mussina keeps getting hosed in the Hall of Fame voting (90)