Jan 24, 2012, 11:19 AM EST
Texas is reportedly shopping reliever Koji Uehara, but that didn’t stop the Rangers from adding some bullpen depth by signing right-hander Sean Green and left-hander Mitch Stetter to minor-league contracts.
Both pitchers will get invitations to spring training, although it’ll be tough for them to claim spots in the Rangers’ deep bullpen even if Uehara is traded.
Green has been a pretty typical middle reliever, with a 4.41 career ERA, mediocre strikeout rates, and iffy control to go along with a high-80s fastball. His biggest strength is inducing ground balls and avoiding homers, which could play well in Texas if he ever got the opportunity.
Stetter was very effective for the Brewers in 2008 and 2009, but the 31-year-old lefty has spent most of the past two seasons in the minors or on the disabled list and even when healthy his fastball tops out in the mid-80s.
- Ian Kinsler hopes Rangers go 0-162, calls GM a “sleazeball” (132)
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (101)
- The politics of “The Cardinal Way” (67)
- Robinson Cano wants the Mariners to bring in Kendrys Morales and Ervin Santana (64)
- Reporter calls Ian Kinsler as self-absorbed as A-Rod (60)