Jan 24, 2012, 2:31 PM EDT
UPDATE: It’s now confirmed by multiple sources that the deal is done: two-years, $40.5 million.
The existence of such an offer was first reported by Tim Brown of Yahoo! on Saturday. As D.J. noted then, a two-year deal like this would cover Lincecum’s remaining arbitration seasons and allow him to test free agency after 2013. It would also avoid a long term deal which Lincecum is reported not to really want right now.
For the Giants, it avoided the specter of going through arbitration with Lincecum over the next two seasons and, barring some sort of cratering of his performance, being on the hook for more than $45 million, I’d wager.
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 48
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 51
- Hey, Rube: Phillies pay dearly for Amaro’s misguided loyalty 85
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 57
- Dodgers announce Vin Scully will return for 2015 season 52
- Jon Lester scratched Wednesday amid trade speculation 38
- Rays are “talking and willing” to trade ace lefty David Price; Cardinals and Dodgers interested 41
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels 96
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (105)
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode (104)
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels (96)