Jan 24, 2012, 2:31 PM EDT
UPDATE: It’s now confirmed by multiple sources that the deal is done: two-years, $40.5 million.
The existence of such an offer was first reported by Tim Brown of Yahoo! on Saturday. As D.J. noted then, a two-year deal like this would cover Lincecum’s remaining arbitration seasons and allow him to test free agency after 2013. It would also avoid a long term deal which Lincecum is reported not to really want right now.
For the Giants, it avoided the specter of going through arbitration with Lincecum over the next two seasons and, barring some sort of cratering of his performance, being on the hook for more than $45 million, I’d wager.
- Cuban slugger Yasmani Tomas to command $100 million? 18
- Bruce and Brett Bochy make MLB history 29
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 17
- Zack Greinke homers, Dodgers demolish the Giants 17-0 at AT&T Park 19
- Frank Torre: 1931-2014 6
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 46
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball 86
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use 92
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- A few thoughts about the discrimination lawsuit against the Mets (91)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (86)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)