Jan 24, 2012, 2:31 PM EDT
UPDATE: It’s now confirmed by multiple sources that the deal is done: two-years, $40.5 million.
The existence of such an offer was first reported by Tim Brown of Yahoo! on Saturday. As D.J. noted then, a two-year deal like this would cover Lincecum’s remaining arbitration seasons and allow him to test free agency after 2013. It would also avoid a long term deal which Lincecum is reported not to really want right now.
For the Giants, it avoided the specter of going through arbitration with Lincecum over the next two seasons and, barring some sort of cratering of his performance, being on the hook for more than $45 million, I’d wager.
- The benches cleared in Toronto, too 70
- The Reds’ and Pirates’ benches cleared after Brandon Phillips was hit with a pitch 47
- Reminder: even though the trade deadline has passed, trades can still happen 9
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 36
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 11
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 32
- Clayton Kershaw blanks the Angels over eight innings, runs consecutive scoreless innings streak to 37 20
- Clayton Kershaw and Mike Trout make MLB history in Saturday’s matchup 14
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (205)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)