Jan 24, 2012, 2:31 PM EDT
UPDATE: It’s now confirmed by multiple sources that the deal is done: two-years, $40.5 million.
The existence of such an offer was first reported by Tim Brown of Yahoo! on Saturday. As D.J. noted then, a two-year deal like this would cover Lincecum’s remaining arbitration seasons and allow him to test free agency after 2013. It would also avoid a long term deal which Lincecum is reported not to really want right now.
For the Giants, it avoided the specter of going through arbitration with Lincecum over the next two seasons and, barring some sort of cratering of his performance, being on the hook for more than $45 million, I’d wager.
- Ivan Nova diagnosed with a partially torn ulnar collateral ligament in his right elbow 0
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 15
- Bryce Harper pulled from Saturday’s game for not hustling 87
- Report: MLB likely to adjust rules for plays at home and transfer catches 24
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 17
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (248)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (96)