Jan 24, 2012, 11:33 AM EST
Yesterday we heard about the Blue Jays and Brandon Morrow nearing a three-year extension. Today it’s final: three years, $20 million with a $10 million team option for 2015. A $1 million buyout makes it a $21 million total commitment.
A gamble? Sure, but not a gigantic one and an average of $7 million a year for three years isn’t much for a guy like him. Yes, Morrow can be erratic and can walk a lot of people, but that stuff and those strikeout rates are the sorts of things that makes images of Randy Johnson dance in teams’ heads.
If he can make a couple of adjustments he’s a top starter, locked up through arbitration and two years of free agency. If he never advances, he’s still useful and gone before he gets way too expensive.
- Report: Pablo Sandoval and the Red Sox agree to a five-year deal at close to $100 million 0
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 15
- Report: Red Sox finalizing a 5-year, $90 million deal with Hanley Ramirez 26
- MLB players react to Odell Beckham, Jr. catch on Sunday Night Football 23
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 77
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 35
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 72
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 130
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (129)