Jan 24, 2012, 11:33 AM EDT
Yesterday we heard about the Blue Jays and Brandon Morrow nearing a three-year extension. Today it’s final: three years, $20 million with a $10 million team option for 2015. A $1 million buyout makes it a $21 million total commitment.
A gamble? Sure, but not a gigantic one and an average of $7 million a year for three years isn’t much for a guy like him. Yes, Morrow can be erratic and can walk a lot of people, but that stuff and those strikeout rates are the sorts of things that makes images of Randy Johnson dance in teams’ heads.
If he can make a couple of adjustments he’s a top starter, locked up through arbitration and two years of free agency. If he never advances, he’s still useful and gone before he gets way too expensive.
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 0
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 91
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 124
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- Drooling over Miguel Sano’s incredible numbers through 50 career games 35
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired 105
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results 81
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (127)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (105)
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (100)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (98)