Jan 24, 2012, 4:13 PM EST
Obviously a general manager saying misleading things about a big-name free agent shouldn’t be shocking at this point, but with Prince Fielder signing a massive nine-year, $214 million deal with the Tigers today Dave Dombrowski’s comments from just four days ago are pretty interesting.
Dombrowski was asked Friday about the Tigers’ chances of signing Fielder and replied:
Of course we’d consider Prince Fielder, but realistically it’s probably not a good fit. We anticipate Victor Martinez coming back in 2013 and playing at the level he was at last season. I would just say the fit is really not there at this point.
And that seemed to make sense, because the Tigers have Miguel Cabrera at first base and owe Victor Martinez $13 million in 2013 and $12 million in 2014. Yet in less than a week Dombrowski went from saying “realistically it’s probably not a good fit” to giving him $214 million to play for the Tigers through 2020.
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 72
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 34
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 72
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 130
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 84
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 157
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (128)