Jan 25, 2012, 9:00 AM EST
Carlos Beltran is now a St. Louis Cardinal. Before that he was a San Francisco Giant. Yet he still gets asked about his time with the Mets a lot. And not just recent stuff. Stuff from 2006.
For example, the other night he appeared at a charity event in New York and he was asked about what Mets fans might think about him playing for the Cardinals, who eliminated the Mets in the 2006 NLCS. With the moment of elimination being the Beltran strikeout that, for some reason, a certain segment of Mets fans can’t seem to shake. Beltran’s response:
“Actually, I’m not thinking about the fans, I’m thinking about myself … I just want to have the opportunity to be in the playoffs. What happened in 2006, you have to turn the page. That’s over. We can’t bring 2006 back to 2012. It has been six years. If they want to continue to think about that moment, then that’s their problem. Like I said, I have turned the page. I have really moved on.”
That’s not diplomatic, but I can’t find fault with any of it. I mean really, I would love to meet the sort of Mets fan who actually has issues with Beltran signing with St. Louis. Or who still burns with anger and sorrow over that strikeout in 2006 to the point where it colors one’s impression of the guy’s tenure in New York.
Every team’s fan base has a moment like that they can point to. You don’t forget the moment, but man, at some point you let it go as a personal grudge, don’t you?
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 0
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 42
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 39
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 25
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 285
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- UPDATE: Red Sox finalizing a 4-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, with a vesting option 35
- MLB players react to Odell Beckham, Jr. catch on Sunday Night Football 27
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (285)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (131)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (129)