Jan 25, 2012, 5:32 PM EDT
Did you know that Daryle Ward was still kicking around baseball? Me neither! But he is. And now he’s been suspended for 50 games after a positive amphetamines test. From the press release:
Free agent Minor League first baseman Daryle Ward has received a 50-game suspension after testing positive for an amphetamine. The suspension of Ward is effective immediately upon his signing with a Major League organization.
Given that he turns 37 this year, his last stint in the majors was in 2008 and his time last season was split between independent ball and double-A, that last sentence implies really, really strongly that the suspension will never be served.
Also suspended: free agent pitcher Dustin Richardson, who last played in the bigs for the Red Sox in 2010. Since then he’s been in the Marlins and, most recently, the Braves’ systems, where he has not exactly distinguished himself. His suspension reads like the Physician’s Desk Reference:
Free agent Minor League left-handed pitcher Dustin Richardson has received a 50-game suspension after testing positive for an amphetamine, Letrozole and metabolite, Methandienone metabolite, Methenelone and metabolite, and Trenbolone and metabolite.
No word on whether or not either Ward or Richardson will be invited to Brewers’ Fan Fest.
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore 133
- Cardinals confirm Adam Wainwright is done for season with torn Achilles 19
- Source: Josh Hamilton rejected a trade to a National League team because he wanted to go back to Texas 48
- Deal done: Josh Hamilton traded to the Texas Rangers for cash considerations 49
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 355
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 88
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 60
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 5
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (355)
- Comment of the Day: do not underestimate the seriousness of the anti-DH crowd (198)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (162)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (149)