Jan 25, 2012, 5:32 PM EDT
Did you know that Daryle Ward was still kicking around baseball? Me neither! But he is. And now he’s been suspended for 50 games after a positive amphetamines test. From the press release:
Free agent Minor League first baseman Daryle Ward has received a 50-game suspension after testing positive for an amphetamine. The suspension of Ward is effective immediately upon his signing with a Major League organization.
Given that he turns 37 this year, his last stint in the majors was in 2008 and his time last season was split between independent ball and double-A, that last sentence implies really, really strongly that the suspension will never be served.
Also suspended: free agent pitcher Dustin Richardson, who last played in the bigs for the Red Sox in 2010. Since then he’s been in the Marlins and, most recently, the Braves’ systems, where he has not exactly distinguished himself. His suspension reads like the Physician’s Desk Reference:
Free agent Minor League left-handed pitcher Dustin Richardson has received a 50-game suspension after testing positive for an amphetamine, Letrozole and metabolite, Methandienone metabolite, Methenelone and metabolite, and Trenbolone and metabolite.
No word on whether or not either Ward or Richardson will be invited to Brewers’ Fan Fest.
- Ruben Amaro dismisses fans who “bitch and complain” about the Phillies’ moves 12
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 12
- Reds finally shut down Devin Mesoraco seven weeks after hip injury, surgery may be needed 6
- Mike Napoli continues to kill the Angels 7
- Brian Matusz suspended eight games for a foreign substance 18
- Settling the Scores: Memorial Day Edition 58
- Giants designate Casey McGehee for assignment 26
- Yan Gomes returns to the Indians’ lineup after missing six weeks with a sprained right knee 0
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)