Jan 25, 2012, 5:32 PM EST
Did you know that Daryle Ward was still kicking around baseball? Me neither! But he is. And now he’s been suspended for 50 games after a positive amphetamines test. From the press release:
Free agent Minor League first baseman Daryle Ward has received a 50-game suspension after testing positive for an amphetamine. The suspension of Ward is effective immediately upon his signing with a Major League organization.
Given that he turns 37 this year, his last stint in the majors was in 2008 and his time last season was split between independent ball and double-A, that last sentence implies really, really strongly that the suspension will never be served.
Also suspended: free agent pitcher Dustin Richardson, who last played in the bigs for the Red Sox in 2010. Since then he’s been in the Marlins and, most recently, the Braves’ systems, where he has not exactly distinguished himself. His suspension reads like the Physician’s Desk Reference:
Free agent Minor League left-handed pitcher Dustin Richardson has received a 50-game suspension after testing positive for an amphetamine, Letrozole and metabolite, Methandienone metabolite, Methenelone and metabolite, and Trenbolone and metabolite.
No word on whether or not either Ward or Richardson will be invited to Brewers’ Fan Fest.
- Royals sign Edinson Volquez for two years, $20 million 5
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade 54
- Sergio Romo re-signs with the Giants for $15 million 13
- So, apparently we’re sweating the Matt Kemp physical now 44
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba 137
- Marlins complete Michael Morse deal: two years, $16 million 18
- Padres, Rays, Mariners discussing trade involving Wil Myers 36
- It is perfectly clear that A-Rod is the Yankees’ DH. At best. So there will be no drama, right? 37
- Baseball’s highest-ranking Hispanic woman employee sues for discrimination (163)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (136)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (110)
- Done Deal: Yoenis Cespedes and two players traded to Detroit for Rick Porcello and a minor leaguer (105)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)