Jan 25, 2012, 10:30 AM EDT
I don’t know enough about Florida politics to know if this has any chance of going anywhere, but I am heartened to see that someone in the Florida legislature is trying — either through actual legislation or just by virtue of sheer grandstanding — to illustrate just how crappy a deal it is for taxpayers to be paying for professional sports facilities:
A Senate panel on Monday backed [Senator Mike] Bennett when it voted unanimously in favor of his bill which would require the teams to refund the state all the money they have received by the end of the year if they can’t prove the stadium has been used as a homeless shelter.
The basis of the bill is an older Florida law which said that sports stadiums and arenas are supposed to be utilized by local governments for homeless shelters. I’m assuming that the homeless have never been housed in Tropicana Field, for example, either because it wasn’t needed or because someone figured it would be unkind to do such an awful thing to the homeless.
Like I said: probably not going anywhere because this sort of thing never seems to go anywhere, but it’s all kinds of fun when you can mess with people like this for a good cause.
- Alex Gordon and the M-V-P chants 23
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. 205
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 63
- David Price surrenders nine consecutive hits to the Yankees in the worst start of his career 29
- Video: Jorge Soler homers in his first major league at-bat 30
- Adam Wainwright has a “dead arm” 40
- HBT Daily: Alex Gordon and the Royals keep on rolling 12
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 43
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (247)
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (205)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (145)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (102)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)