Jan 25, 2012, 10:30 AM EDT
I don’t know enough about Florida politics to know if this has any chance of going anywhere, but I am heartened to see that someone in the Florida legislature is trying — either through actual legislation or just by virtue of sheer grandstanding — to illustrate just how crappy a deal it is for taxpayers to be paying for professional sports facilities:
A Senate panel on Monday backed [Senator Mike] Bennett when it voted unanimously in favor of his bill which would require the teams to refund the state all the money they have received by the end of the year if they can’t prove the stadium has been used as a homeless shelter.
The basis of the bill is an older Florida law which said that sports stadiums and arenas are supposed to be utilized by local governments for homeless shelters. I’m assuming that the homeless have never been housed in Tropicana Field, for example, either because it wasn’t needed or because someone figured it would be unkind to do such an awful thing to the homeless.
Like I said: probably not going anywhere because this sort of thing never seems to go anywhere, but it’s all kinds of fun when you can mess with people like this for a good cause.
- Video: Joey Butler breaks up Carlos Carrasco’s no-hitter with two outs in the ninth inning 0
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 8
- Jerry Dipoto loses power struggle with Mike Scioscia, steps down as Angels general manager 31
- Bobby Bonilla’s isn’t the only deferred money deal in the game. And isn’t even the worst. 48
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. 71
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM 75
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 46
- Rangers activate Josh Hamilton from disabled list, send prospect Joey Gallo to Triple-A 12
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (110)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (76)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)