Jan 25, 2012, 10:30 AM EDT
I don’t know enough about Florida politics to know if this has any chance of going anywhere, but I am heartened to see that someone in the Florida legislature is trying — either through actual legislation or just by virtue of sheer grandstanding — to illustrate just how crappy a deal it is for taxpayers to be paying for professional sports facilities:
A Senate panel on Monday backed [Senator Mike] Bennett when it voted unanimously in favor of his bill which would require the teams to refund the state all the money they have received by the end of the year if they can’t prove the stadium has been used as a homeless shelter.
The basis of the bill is an older Florida law which said that sports stadiums and arenas are supposed to be utilized by local governments for homeless shelters. I’m assuming that the homeless have never been housed in Tropicana Field, for example, either because it wasn’t needed or because someone figured it would be unkind to do such an awful thing to the homeless.
Like I said: probably not going anywhere because this sort of thing never seems to go anywhere, but it’s all kinds of fun when you can mess with people like this for a good cause.
- Felix Hernandez pounded as Mariners lose fourth straight 7
- Blue Jays manager John Gibbons will return in 2015 5
- HBT Daily: Why did Frank Wren get the axe? 2
- John Schuerholz defines “The Braves Way.” And it’s a pretty big pile of crap. 57
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 26
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 42
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 46
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (124)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (111)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (89)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (87)