Gammons: GMs think Oswalt signs with the Cardinals or Rangers

Jan 25, 2012, 11:37 AM EDT

oswalt getty Getty Images

Peter Gammons knows people in high places. Three of them are GMs with whom he spoke about Roy Oswalt, and two of them think Oswalt will sign with the Rangers. The third thinks it’s the Cardinals.

All of those have been discussed before either due to previous interest in Oswalt or what we think we know of Oswalt’s geographic preferences.  But the thing is, each of those teams have fairly set rotations, do they not?  Especially the Rangers. Is Roy Oswalt really the Rangers’ or Cardinals’ biggest need?

Interesting, I guess. But then I remember back to this time yesterday and recall that everyone thought Prince Fielder was going to the Nationals. So what I’m saying is, I’m gonna go get a sandwich or something and try not to think too hard about it.

1. proudlycanadian - Jan 25, 2012 at 11:42 AM

What type of sandwich?

• cur68 - Jan 25, 2012 at 12:36 PM

Left-over barbecue-chicken sandwich, if he’s lucky.

2. stex52 - Jan 25, 2012 at 11:44 AM

Does either team have a rotation that it is so set that the addition of 200 innings of low 3’s ERA would not find a place in it? I don’t think so. Roy’s back may not allow that; I’m not sure. But it is a pretty low order risk for one year with a large potential upside.

3. dcfan4life - Jan 25, 2012 at 11:45 AM

What happened to Boston? I thought they just cleared up space trading Scuttaro to sign Oswalt. Am i dreaming up headlines here or what…

• WhenMattStairsIsKing - Jan 25, 2012 at 12:39 PM

That was no more than gossip. Boston simply felt the need to destroy their SS position to sign Cody Ross for some reason.

• deathmonkey41 - Jan 25, 2012 at 2:40 PM

Cody Ross has pictures of John Henry wrapping up a puppy in a defaced American flag and then drowning it in the Charles. Either that or the Red Sox really don’t know what the hell they’re doing. I think the first explanation is much more interesting.

4. spudchukar - Jan 25, 2012 at 11:47 AM

Yes, he is the Cardinals’ biggest need. They have depth everywhere. Plus they have $8 mil to “re-allocate”. Worry about the extra starter later. Oswalt is a premiere starter, is only 34 and if reports are correct his back ailment is behind him. Send Westbrook to the pen, minors or work out an acceptable deal.

If however, he chooses to go elsewhere, I say sign Brandon Webb. He is worth the gamble, probably would only cost $2 mil at the most, and would be an insurance policy, and if he can regain his form would be a steal.

• paperlions - Jan 25, 2012 at 1:13 PM

Exactly, if they could dump Westbrook for a bag of balls and get the other team to pay even $2M of his salary…that is a deal worth making (after/if they get Oswalt).

• stlouis1baseball - Jan 25, 2012 at 2:27 PM

Absolutely Spud. I have been saying they need to do something with Westbrook for a looooong time. I like the Bullpen idea more than anything. But as Paper stated…if they can sign Roy and get someone to eat just a portion of Westbrooks salary that would be a win-win.

5. uyf1950 - Jan 25, 2012 at 11:51 AM

Does that mean that the Red Sox are no longer looking to make an “aggressive bid” for Oswalt as was reported on this very site a couple of days ago?

If I may be allowed to quote Chaucer; “Time and tide wait for no man”.

6. Jonny 5 - Jan 25, 2012 at 11:54 AM

I’m eating a pulled pork bbq sandwich thinking about this right now. Thought right now is “yum”.

• uyf1950 - Jan 25, 2012 at 11:58 AM

Jonny 5 – Are you a closet Southerner? Eating pulled bbq.

• Jonny 5 - Jan 25, 2012 at 12:11 PM

More of a Northerner who gets along really well with Southerners. I even have a drum smoker in the back yard next to my grill. Yeee Haw!

• rollinghighwayblues - Jan 25, 2012 at 12:22 PM

Jonny, you have the right idea. Smokers are true way to go when dealing with BBQ.

• Jonny 5 - Jan 25, 2012 at 12:32 PM

And I’m a dyed in the wool blues fan too. Not the Eric Clapton blues either. I’m talking Albert Collins, Albert King, Stevie Ray Vaughn, and Freddie King blues. Let’s just say me and southerners get along well. (no knock on Clapton)

• deathmonkey41 - Jan 25, 2012 at 2:41 PM

No, pulled pork is a Philly thing. I never heard of it until I moved down here. That and disgusting Scapple. I don’t know how people eat that- it’s crispy Spam.

• Jonny 5 - Jan 25, 2012 at 4:26 PM

I don’t think Scrapple is even as good as crispy Spam. But Pork Roll? I AM ALL OVER THAT. I just recently found out that’s like strictly NJ/ Philly area only. People really don’t even know what they’re missing. Here I thought the world knew all about it.

7. sportsdrenched.com - Jan 25, 2012 at 12:05 PM

Ain’t no such thing as too much starting pitching.

• Francisco (FC) - Jan 25, 2012 at 12:33 PM

Hey, I didn’t know Ruben Jr. posted on HBT…

• deathmonkey41 - Jan 25, 2012 at 2:42 PM

How about if A.J. Burnett was cloned 5 times?

8. WhenMattStairsIsKing - Jan 25, 2012 at 12:37 PM

Detroit had a set roster before Fielder. The Yankees had a set rotation before Pineda AND Kuroda. Teams wanting guys is not always parallel to roster sensibility. They get excited.

9. TxGrown - Jan 25, 2012 at 12:45 PM

@Jonny 5 ……
    I’m Texan as my tag implies and I love to bbq…Texas style. But I’ll admit ain’t nothing like pulled pork bbq.

As a Yankee fan I hope Oswalt goes to the Cards.

• stex52 - Jan 25, 2012 at 3:29 PM

Only Texan I know who does pulled pork is my brother-in-law, and he is a West Virginia transplant. I won’t turn down pulled pork, but I have to hang with brisket for the best. Especially as done by those Germans and Bohemians in central Texas.

• paperlions - Jan 25, 2012 at 4:16 PM

I lived in TX for nearly 10 years, BBQ there is much different that where I grew up (just outside StL); pulled pork BBQ was very common in the StL area…..little known fact….Saint Louisans eat more BBQ sauce per person than any other city in the world.

• spudchukar - Jan 25, 2012 at 4:25 PM

Yep, even in Central Idaho, pulled pork is popular, however, trying to find pork steaks is difficult. Many of my fond memories in St. Louis revolves around a slathered BBQ porcine slab.

• paperlions - Jan 25, 2012 at 4:54 PM

My dad had the same experience with trying to find pork steaks when stationed in southern CA working for Boeing….he finally had to go to a butcher, buy a pork shoulder and have the guy cut it into steaks for him…the guy thought it was the strangest request he had ever had.

• rollinghighwayblues - Jan 25, 2012 at 5:11 PM

That’s me. But hey, don’t call us Bohemians! Make it Pollocks, Polanders, Krauts, Squareheads, Towheads or what have you. Ah, just kidding. Let the etymology rain down!

• Jonny 5 - Jan 25, 2012 at 4:20 PM

You guys are making me awful hungry…

10. rexadelphia8 - Jan 25, 2012 at 3:14 PM

Pork roll mofo’s

11. The Baseball Idiot - Jan 25, 2012 at 4:04 PM

Two cliches:

Everyone needs pitching

No one ever has enough pitching

Seems that would make the Rangers and Cardinals plausible teams.

Red Sox shopping Lester and Lackey