Jan 25, 2012, 2:15 PM EST
But the upshot: Bautista spoke at a banquet the other night and noted that in the past two years — the two years which coincided with his tremendous uptick in homers — he has been given sixteen drug tests. In the two years before that he had three total. So I would guess that it’s safe to say that the random drug testing thing has been something less than random in his case.
Now, the real test: given how often Bautista has been tested, if he has 19 homers in late May, can random columnists resist the urge to write that “it’s impossible not to be suspicious” column once again? Or is there nothing that will stop that?
- Curtis Granderson leaves Yankees for Mets (and $60 million) 22
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners 153
- MLB, NPB nearing new posting system agreement 9
- Report: Talks between the Mets and Curtis Granderson have “intensified” 31
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury 159
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (160)
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (159)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- When will the Yankees regret the Jacoby Ellsbury contract? (100)
- Robinson Cano met with the Mariners in Seattle (87)