Marlins “expected to make strong push” for Yoenis Cespedes

Jan 25, 2012, 11:51 AM EDT

Yoenis Cespedes AP AP

Now that Yoenis Cespedes has established residency in the Dominican Republic his long-awaited free agency should be right around the corner and Joe Frisaro of MLB.com reports that the Marlins “are expected to make a strong push” for the Cuban defector.

They’ll have plenty of competition, although Cespedes’ poor showing in the Dominican winter league may have exposed some sizable flaws in the 26-year-old outfielder’s game. He went 5-for-35 (.143) with 10 strikeouts and zero walks before calling it quits.

Cespedes said previously that the Marlins, Cubs, White Sox, Orioles, Tigers, and Indians were the six teams showing the most interest and Frisaro believes Miami’s “strong Cuban community” could help the Marlins’ case. That and a huge contract, of course.

UPDATE: Danny Knobler of CBSSports.com contradicts Frisaro, reporting that Cespedes “has told teams he would prefer not to play in Miami.”

1. b7p19 - Jan 25, 2012 at 12:01 PM

Wow, this Marlins team just keeps getting more and more interesting. I could see myself watching a couple dozen Marlins games if this happens.

2. Jonny 5 - Jan 25, 2012 at 12:05 PM

This guy isn’t even the best hitter in Cuba. I wouldn’t expect a ton of offensive production from the guy, and in Miami where the field is humongous, even less. If the price gets high, which it’s expected to, I’d stay away from him if I’m Miami.

• b7p19 - Jan 25, 2012 at 12:47 PM

You might be right, but you also might be really wrong. The guy is an athletic freak. To me he kind of screams slow start until he gets comfortable and then you’ll see quality production. Thats just my off-the-cuff prediction. Maybe you’re saying this as a worried Phillies fan? If so, I don’t blame you.

• Jonny 5 - Jan 25, 2012 at 1:59 PM

Phillies fans of today don’t worry about other teams batters due to Roy, Cliff, and Cole. We have to worry about our own batters more often. ;) On a more serious note though, I’m just trying to be as objective about the man as I can. One thing for sure is he won’t be better than he is in Cuba ball.

• paperlions - Jan 25, 2012 at 1:17 PM

There are plenty of athletic freaks that can’t hit a baseball….and there are plenty of athletic freaks that are good at hitting a baseball that still can’t hit MLB pitching.

Fact is, the guy is NOT head and shoulders above the rest of the talent in Cuba, and he’s facing low minors quality competition. To me, he screams risk. He could never make it in the majors or he could be a star…there is just no way to tell where his baseball ceiling is with the competition he’s faced.

• b7p19 - Jan 25, 2012 at 1:53 PM

I don’t disagree with anything you said. It’s certainly a risk. There are also lot’s of athletic freaks that can hit baseballs very well and also hit MLB pitching very well. My point was you can’t say he won’t be very good, just like I can’t say he will (even though I did).

The fact that he is very athletic, while not a garuntee for success, is never a bad thing. Never heard a scout say “that guy has some ability, but he’s entirely too athletic.” There is only one way to find out and I think it’s a good fit for the Marlins to be the team to do just that.

3. detroitcityryda - Jan 25, 2012 at 12:18 PM

Marlins logo is just plain ugly but I understand the colors and all ,with the gay community in Miami they have to pitch it to someone .

• pellypell - Jan 25, 2012 at 1:03 PM

Well, the got your attention. Just saying…

• kiwicricket - Jan 25, 2012 at 1:05 PM

Poor form.

• Old Gator - Jan 25, 2012 at 1:06 PM

By and large the gay community in Macondo has far better taste than Scrooge McLoria. None of my gay or lesbian friends would be caught dead wearing that thing. And you sound like you could spend an hour with some of the stylists from A Queer Eye for the Straight Guy. That beer stained t-shirt and faux-Marine crewcut has gotta go.

• detiger69 - Jan 25, 2012 at 1:16 PM

“With the gay community”, boy have you missed the mark.

Miami is all about the Hispanic community. Virtually every move they have made this year has been focused on Hispanics. They go out and buy the best Hispanic Shortstop available. They trade with the Cubs to take on the problematic Hispanic pitcher. They make a huge push to buy the best Hispanic First basemen available then ignore the African-American First basemen when they don’t get the Hispanic. Now this article is about them making a strong push for a Hispanic outfielder.

They better be careful, they are close to being openly discriminatory in their hiring practices. There are plenty of smart lawyer agents or player representatives that have the money and knowledge to bring a strong case against their hiring practices this off season.

• Old Gator - Jan 25, 2012 at 4:57 PM

Let’s rather say that they decided against hiring the fat, out of shape, overpriced first baseman who became available, and since they already have an all-star first baseman your hypothetical lawyer would have to be a hypnotist as well as smart to get that one past a jury full of….Hispanics. They also added a couple of non-Hispanic top-ranked pitchers in Mark Buehrle and Heath Bell, re-signed a couple of non-Hispanic utility players, and – please note – that top notch Hispanic shortstop they signed, unless the rod and cone opsins in my retina are playing tricks on me, looked awfully dark, doesn’t he?

Your lawyer has to be better than smart. He needs to be smart and corrupt enough to pay off the entire jury without getting caught if he wants to have a prayer of getting this nonsensical bit of politically correct paranoia to pass jurisprudential muster.

• sasquash20 - Jan 25, 2012 at 7:06 PM

Its like the Mets under there last GM Omar something. Tons of Hispanic ball players. I prefer a good mix of people on my team.

4. phillyphreak - Jan 25, 2012 at 12:34 PM

I think any flaws “exposed” in his 35 ABs were probably already known to the scouts who have watched him and teams interested in him. I can’t really get behind the fact that a guy who hadn’t picked up a bat in real competition in a while hurt his asking price in such a small sample.

• Old Gator - Jan 25, 2012 at 1:11 PM

I’d prefer to see someone other than the Feesh take a flyer at this guy. I don’t see a total bust but I see too long an adjustment period before he comes anywhere near being worth the money.

And Scrooge McLoria and the Chihuahua had better stop thinking of the Macondo Cubans as sheep who will just file into Macondo Banana Massacre Field because they’ve packed the roster with hermanos if they want to build any kind of lasting fan base here. Given the huge influx of other Latino groups over the past ten years or so, Cubans – especially homesick native-borns – make up just a little more than half of this residential community now. If they keep pretending the other half doesn’t count, they’re going to have to fatten themselves on luxury tax money all over again.

5. pellypell - Jan 25, 2012 at 1:01 PM

The last time I made a “strong push”, I got a hemorrhoid. Just saying…

6. WhenMattStairsIsKing - Jan 25, 2012 at 1:22 PM

Shame on whatever team gives this guy big bucks to play without any major game experience outside of the WBC.

7. rexadelphia8 - Jan 25, 2012 at 3:10 PM

Can’t hit the curveball

8. henryd3rd - Jan 25, 2012 at 5:39 PM

Old Gator, are they still going to have free concerts and fireworks after each Saturday night games?

• Old Gator - Jan 25, 2012 at 11:29 PM

Fireworks would be a little tough inside a domed stadium, not to mention in the middle of a residential neighborhood, which is where they plunked Macondo Banana Massacre Field. If they are having free concerts, I seriously doubt it’ll be anyone I’d want to listen to. I used to hear Gloria Estefan sing in small clubs and at street fairs so she’d be no attraction in and of herself, but she is a beeg Feesh fan so I gotta think she’d be up for a show. Then there’s Creed – “Marlins Will Soar” is unlistenably offal (as opposed to merely awful). Rap and disco make me physically ill and for the most part the team has had prole rock bands play those freebies. Country music generally doesn’t do it for me – “When ya leave me, walk backerds so ah think yore comin’ in” and all that. Jerry’s dead (but lives) so forget the Dead. Ryan Adams? Not likely. Bring me the Stones, wheelchairs and canes and all, and I might show up.

Might.